Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Air Asia & 60L Backpack

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

So I think its fair to say that its going to be over 7 kg for my 60l backpack but I'm curious if anyone has been able to get a bag this size on as carry on luggage? Can you pay for oversized carry-on luggage? I'm looking to go from Langkawi ---> KL ---> Bangkok and I'm thinking it would be much easier if I didnt have to worry about collecting bags in KL and then rechecking them. Also would cut down on the amount of time I'd need between flights I think. Anyone got any experiance with this?

#1 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 11:42

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I doubt you can fit a 60 L backpack into the space provided unless it is half empty. Air Asia size limit is 56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm, I don't think they weighed my carry on but if you try and carry on the backpack they likely will weigh it and if it is too heavy will make you check it.

You will only have to collect bags if you booked it through multiple carriers separately, if it is air asia both ways then they will put your baggage right through to Bangkok. If you did book separately then you will have to re check in and go through security etc all over again and collecting your bags will only add probably 5-10 minutes on. If this is the case you should have given yourself at a bare minimum 1.5 hr to change flights(International check in is usually 2 hrs) and baggage shouldn't be an issue, if you didn't think about that when booking flights then things could get tight.

I personally never book separate flights with short change times because if you miss(even because of flight delays etc) it is your fault and you are stuck paying for another flight etc. Booking through 1 carrier is fine though no matter how short the connection as they have to get you and your luggage to your end destination so will put you on a later flight if they are running late etc.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 12:04

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

thanks for the quick reply!

my understanding was that air asia makes you collect and check baggage for each leg unless you get their "fly thru" service which is not offered for my itinerary it seems.

#3 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 12:15

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I didn't realize air asia was different from most other carriers in this regard, sorry for that. Just looked at their website, if you booked two point to point flights it looks like you will have to pick up bags and recheck in etc, that kind of sucks. Just looking at their info on this make sure you gave yourself lots of time in between flights(especially if you haven't booked yet), they pretty much flat out state that if you book 2 point to point flights and miss the 2nd one because of the 1st one being late they don't have to provide any help or compensation unless they feel like it. I would give myself a good 3 hours if I were booking that.

"Fly thru" is how most other carriers operate, too bad you can't get that as it would protect you from missing your connection etc.

#4 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 12:33

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

yeah, i suppose thats one way for them to keep fairs down. it also means paying $30 for a backpack on a $60 flight. i havent booked yet, just trying to figure out the fastest and cheapest way to get from langkawi back to bangkok to catch my flight home.

#5 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 13:03

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Have you looked at Malaysia Airlines? Looks like they might be just as reasonable as you don't have to pay for baggage etc, not sure on their check in stuff but guessing they aren't as picky as air asia as their website allows you to book it straight through.

Note on air asia a $60 flight almost always becomes 100-110 by the time you add in all their taxes, baggage etc so if you are booking two legs probably looking at $200+.

A cheaper way to get back to Bangkok but with more travel time would be to take the ferry to Satun, bus to Hat Yai and then night train to Bangkok. In total probably only cost around $60.

#6 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 13:43

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

i really like the idea of going by ferry back to thailand because there were some other parks and islands i wanted to see, but i believe that ferry only runs until may 1 or may 15, and i need something for may 19. id be thrilled if i was wrong and was able to go from langkawi to koh lipe or koh tarutao and then catch a train in satun.

#7 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 13:49

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I don't know enough about it but find it hard to believe that the ferry service would stop in May? A quick google to try and determine makes it look more like there just aren't many boats to Ko Lipe after that time(looks like 1 from Pak Bara according to wikitravel). So getting to the islands(direct anyways) might not be possible but I would think ferries would still run to Satun and if not Kuala Perlis for sure both of which you should be able to get to Hat Yai easily enough(or up to Pak Bara if you really want to go to Ko Lipe). Note there is no train in Satun and that you would have to bus from their to Hat Yai where you can catch the train.

If you have extra time and haven't seen Khao Sok National Park the lake tour there is pretty neat and it was imo probably the most beautiful scenery I saw in south east asia. Not very cheap though at around 2500-2800 baht for 2 days. If you were thinking about this it would be easy to take the train from Hat Yai to Surat Thani and then there are lots of buses available to go to Khao Sok and back(the Phuket buses head that way and can drop you off).

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the exact ferry availability etc can help you out more.

#8 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 17:46

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

yeah khao sok is also in the picture, perhaps after ang thong marine park. thanks for the tips. any idea on how much a taxi should be from satun to pak bara and from pak bara to hat yai?

#9 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 17:55

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Just looking at something I read the following regarding ferries etc to Ko Lipe. "None of these services run in the low season when the national park is officially closed."

That makes sense why the ferries cut off(I couldn't understand why that would be the case) so maybe you can't get there or do anything, better make sure before you plan something, might have to phone the park or something.

Taxi from Satun to Pak Bara looks to be around 350 baht(possibly old info just saw it on google). To Hat Yai would be expensive, I would just take buses etc as they seem to be plentiful. Bus from Satun to Hat Yai for example leave multiple times and only cost around 60 baht.

#10 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 18:33

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.