Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket to Krabi - best way?

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Hello,
    We are two backpackers flying into either Phuket or Krabi in June and would like to work our way over to the other location by boat - seeing Phang Nga bay, Phi Phi Islands, Chicken head island, Ao Nang, Railey beach, and anything else really - our knowledge of the area is limited. However, from what I can see, you can only take round-trip day tours (seems a little rushed) to these locations, a ferry straight across stopping in Phi Phi Islands, or take a bus around.

Any recommendations about how to get around to the bay, and where we should start?
    Is it possible to stay overnight in any of these locations?
    Any recommendations for tour operators? We would rather do it on our own, but hiring a boat is out of our price range ($100-150/day max).

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 19:08

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

If you can fly into Krabi then you could skip Phuket altogether. That would be my advice. But if you can't you can either take a mini bus which takes about 3 hours or catch a ferry to Phi Phi and catch another one to Ao Nang.

How long have you got? You can stay on Phi Phi for 2 nights then move onto Krabi.

There are lots of day tours from Krabi and I've done most of them and they are all good.

Phuket has nice beaches but has become more expensive and touristy with an in your face attitude of Thais trying hard to sell you things.

Having done the ferry and the bus I would say the ferry is better, but the bus still offers some decent scenary.

But my choice would be fly into Krabi and then also try to visit Trang islands. You can stay in Trang town or on Ko Mook.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 20:46

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Hi, we are not in a rush - probably about 2-3 weeks (2 months in SEA). From what I read, I don't really care for Thailand but it seemed like a good jumping off point, but now Krabi definitely sounds better! What is Trang like?

#3 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 22:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Trang is good. Read the site for more info.

#4 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 20:30

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

My boyfriend and I will be in Southern Thailand for the month of June.

Any advice on traveling in the "down" season? I heard through the grapevine it can be difficult to find accommodation because a lot of places shut down. Is this true?

We are flying into Krabi, and we have about 3 weeks to work our way to Ko Samui. We want to see Khao Sok and do some diving (we are SCUBA certified). Any recommendations for where we should go? Are the Trang islands worth checking out? If so, which ones?

We want to avoid resort areas like Phuket, and although we enjoy lounging on the beach as much as anyone else, we also like to stay active and experience new things! Any advice?

#5 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 21:36

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Any advice on traveling in the "down" season? I heard through the grapevine it can be difficult to find accommodation because a lot of places shut down. Is this true?

We are flying into Krabi, and we have about 3 weeks to work our way to Ko Samui. We want to see Khao Sok and do some diving (we are SCUBA certified). Any recommendations for where we should go? Are the Trang islands worth checking out? If so, which ones?

We want to avoid resort areas like Phuket, and although we enjoy lounging on the beach as much as anyone else, we also like to stay active and experience new things! Any advice?

#6 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 21:37

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

#7 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 21:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.