Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ao Nang Beach Resort - WARNING TO WOMEN!!!

• silentameri-
    can

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

So I’ve been reading and using Travelfish for ages, but this is my first post here (I’ve been a contributor under this handle on Thorntree for years and years). I’m a real person and I don’t make a habit of bashing every hotel online that I’ve had a disagreement with – so please consider the following if you plan to visit Ao Nang in Krabi.

The Ao Nang Beach Hotel (located at 142 Moo 2, Beach Road, Aonang Ampur Muang, Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand) is not a safe or secure place for either solo female travellers or in my opinion even two girls travelling together.

The owner and other staff entered my room repeatedly after I checked in, and did so without any warning or reason to be in the room. I was told by the owner when I said that as a single female I wasn’t comfortable with random people coming into the room (btw, it had a do not disturb sign on the door), that it was his room and he could and would enter it as many times as he wants.

I don’t know if he’s rapist or a pervert (or if he employs any), but being the owner does not give you the right to come and go as you please from a single woman’s room. Having been raped previously in a hotel room, I feel obliged to warn female travellers that this hotel is UNSAFE and possibly even dangerous.

I had already been worried about the flimsy thin doors and cheap locks (I’m 123lbs / 55kg and I could kick one of them open), but men entering my room and brazenly going through my belongings is too much of a security risk to overlook.

The owner told me that my safety wasn’t his problem. If my safety isn’t his problem, then I can guarantee you that yours won’t be either.

Btw, I also wouldn’t bank on the safety of your property –luckily I had all my electronics with me, but with hotel staff being given the right to go in and out of the rooms whenever they want, I wouldn’t leave anything valuable in the room either. Especially a laptop, as the hotel only has those little safes (that you have to pay extra for).

I wish someone had written a review like this of the hotel where I was attacked; it might have changed my life. There are a lot of hotels the area, for your security and safety don’t risk it, choose another one.

Oh and as an aside, in the midst of the discussion with management I was told that if I didn't like the owner and male staff coming into my room that I should go the *expletive* back to America. I’m British and American and I live in London, but that isn’t really the point. I was also told that they didn't care about broke backpacker scum like me staying there (funny, as I'm in my 30's, had a regular roller bag on the trip, was holding a Fendi handbag, and had booked their most expensive room type an ocean front suite). But, both comments say a lot about the attitude at the place.

I’m happy to share the nitty gritty details if you message me or reply to this post.

#1 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 04:47

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Everytime I see a first time post like this, I'm sceptical. But not this one. This sounds genuine.

#2 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 08:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Strange story. If multiple staff were coming in there must have been a genuine problem rather than 1 sleazy guy.

#3 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 08:55

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

@madmac i am always skeptical of stories like this as well if from people who have posted just one time

@silentameri-can was the owner and staff just coming into your room , or was they going through your belongings ?
    have u posted warning on thorntree as well?

'

#4 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 22:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ao Nang Garden Bungalows, Ao Nang Beach, Krabi ... By aonanggarden on 10 Sep 2009 0 4641 10 Sep 2009
Guesthouse warning for Ao Nang ... By narcodave on 1 Jul 2008 0 2782 1 Jul 2008
Nang Yuan Dive Resort Near Koh Tao ... By Ellen on 19 Jun 2006 2 1191 24 Jun 2006