Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

northern Thailand air quality

• novagorilla

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2013

Im sitting here on the beach in front of Bamboo Bungalows on Ao Yai on Ko Phayam and life is good. After doing a visa run into Myanmar I was planning on heading north to Chiang Mai. I've just done a little research and it seems that the air pollution problems up north are even worse than I thought. I thought it might be a minor inconvenience but it seems to be a bit more than that. Never been to northern Thailand and it would be a shame if this stopped me from doing so on this trip. Any thoughts? Maybe Vietnam instead...?

#1 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 08:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The smoke has apparently been pretty bad this year so far, and it won't be nearly as bad in Vietnam. Would I cancel a trip to northern Thailand because of it? Unless you have sensitive eyes or breathing (eg asthma) probably not.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 17:19

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

North Thailand (and Laos) air pollution resulting from farm burning is almost always bad in March. This year is more or less the same. A few unusual rains cleared the air in early March, but since around mid-March it's become worse again. It usually clears up in early April after the buring stops and some rains come through (hopefully soon!) So far the peak bad day was the 21st and since then it's improved slightly but still very hazy.

I've been keeping a photo record from my land 20km north of Chiang Mai city. Check out the photos.
    You can also monitor pollution levels at http://aqmthai.com

#3 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 13:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Good photos. Looks great in November.

#4 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 19:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yep, November until late-February is the best time to head north. Rainy season is nice too. March sucks.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 03:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Air Quality/Pollution in Northern Thailand ... By harmonydavid on 2 Apr 2012 0 961 2 Apr 2012