Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Umphang

• Scotsman79

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2013

I am currently planning my itinerary for a few weeks in Thailand in November, and as part of my holidays I would like include some trekking. While Chiang Mai seems to very popluar for trekking (and enjoyed my 1 1/2 day stay there last year) for some reason Umphang got my attention.
    I was thinking heading from Sukhothai to Mae Sot, and then to Umphang, where I would like to do a two or three day trekking, covering the Tee Lor Su waterfall and stay in one of the villages, and spend one or two days just in Umphang.
    Could anyone here advise if the long journey to Umphang is worthwhile? Would love to head to a place which is not overrun with tourists and with great places to trek. I am happy with basic accomodation - the surroundings are far more important.

Also, how difficult is it to have a trek there as solo traveller?

Thanks for any help or further insight

#1 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 22:25

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

WHEN-season is all important here- avoid rainy at all cost!
    You did NOT exactly make clear what single means- its not advised at all to go trekking in that area as single on your own- join a group-which may mean waiting till it fills up.

#2 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 03:23

• Scotsman79

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2013

I thought middle of November would be outside the rainy season.
    And I would only go with a guide, not brave enough trekking on my own...with my orientation skill I would end up in Burma or back in Europe....

#3 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 04:04

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Trekking season usually starts November-1. Go see the guys at Max One Tour in Mae Sot or their partners at Umphang Hill Resort in Umphang.

#4 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 00:26

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Why avoid low season?

I found a company that runs 3 night treks year round from mae sot.

I would have thought only august/sept might be too wet with chance of flooding.

#5 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 05:55

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

well worth it - maily thai tourists and not western ones. Great place and pleny of choice where to stay

#6 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 06:13

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Did u do a trek from mae sot?

#7 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 07:01

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Leonard: if that question is addressed to me the answer is no I took the songthaew to Umpang

#8 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 08:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

To anyone who has trekked there. How long was your trek and what did u pay?

Was the songthaew uncomfortable or ok and where do they run from?

#9 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 09:17

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Was in front seat with driver both ways - comfortable and good views. Did have to let one go on way to Umpang to get the front seat but well worth the wait. The back of a Songthaew is not the best way to travel on a longish trip

From TF Mae Sot page

For a songthaew to Umphang, head south down Sri Phanit and about 100m south of the mosque take the left turn. The songthaew station is just on the right side soon after you enter the soi. If you're having troubles just ask a local for 'Songthaew Umphang' and they'll point you in the right direction.

#10 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 09:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.