Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Arriving in Bangkok after songkran?

• Donman1990

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

I'm intending on arriving in Bangkok on the 16th of April from Vientiane during which I need Agee days to organise a visa and money to then fly into Myanmar. In wondering will I run into any issues due to songkran? Or will it all essentially be finished by then at least enough for me to organise my stuff and fly out?

#1 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Because Songkran falls on a weekend this year the official holidays extend until the 17th so I wouldn't expect the Myanmar embassy to be open until the 18th. It then takes 2 working days to organise a visa so hopefully you'll get it on the 19th.
    http://myanmarembassybkk.org/index.php/visa

#2 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 00:19

• Donman1990

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

I see. Say I was to organise my Visa in Vientiane before new year then, is it feasible to get into Bangkok during songkran? Or is than wishful thinking?

#3 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 06:04

• Donman1990

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

Rethinking my plan to actually arrive in Bangkok on or just before the 12th spend songkran there, then catch a flight out. What kind of issues might I face getting a flight on say the dates around 14th-16th?

#4 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 19:46

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Cant you READ? ALL closed those days. And even if it were open-no chance to reach it without getting dosed.Also expect a giant Q of people all stranded for those days to apply for at 18th (IF it opens by then).
    For flights: any cheapo uses Airasia-just open their website. If money is no object, use skyscanner or the other airlines: TG, BKK-air, the Myanmar one.
    Is there no Myanm Embm is VTE? Its all ASEAN. And maybe check out-AirAsia VTE to RGN via KUL-its main hub. might alltogether work out smarter.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 08:02

• Donman1990

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

Well clearly you can't, as my question was related simply to flights out of Bangkok not to getting the visa there. I've actually stated that I am planning on getting it in Vientiane . All I need from Bangkok is flights, and money changing. I decided on Bangkok partially because I want to experience songkran there and it will more than likely be a lot easier to obtain pristine US dollars there as opposed to Vientiane.

If I did stay in Vientiane for new year Kl would definitely be a good choice but since I can fly out of Bangkok it's probably just as easy that way as I want to see Songkran.

#6 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 06:04

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Air Asia is showing 3 flights per day from Don Muang to Yangon during all of the Songkran days. Just do a search on their website. No real other issues to speak of. Taxis will be around, skytrain will be running. If all you need is a flight it's business as usual.

#7 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 08:22

• Donman1990

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

Awesome, I guess my real concern then is exchanging my money before I leave, I intend on arriving in Bangkok on the 12th, assuming I can sort my money out that day I'd like to leave after songkran around the 16th but I might be required I guess to hang around till the end of the public holiday obtuse 18th

#8 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 08:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.