Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Arriving in Bangkok after songkran?

Posted by Donman1990 on 24/3/2013 at 21:39

I'm intending on arriving in Bangkok on the 16th of April from Vientiane during which I need Agee days to organise a visa and money to then fly into Myanmar. In wondering will I run into any issues due to songkran? Or will it all essentially be finished by then at least enough for me to organise my stuff and fly out?

#1 Donman1990 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 34

Posted by Captain_Bob on 25/3/2013 at 00:19

Because Songkran falls on a weekend this year the official holidays extend until the 17th so I wouldn't expect the Myanmar embassy to be open until the 18th. It then takes 2 working days to organise a visa so hopefully you'll get it on the 19th.
http://myanmarembassybkk.org/index.php/visa

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by Donman1990 on 25/3/2013 at 06:04

I see. Say I was to organise my Visa in Vientiane before new year then, is it feasible to get into Bangkok during songkran? Or is than wishful thinking?

#3 Donman1990 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 34

Posted by Donman1990 on 25/3/2013 at 19:46

Rethinking my plan to actually arrive in Bangkok on or just before the 12th spend songkran there, then catch a flight out. What kind of issues might I face getting a flight on say the dates around 14th-16th?

#4 Donman1990 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 34

Posted by captainbkk on 27/3/2013 at 08:02

Cant you READ? ALL closed those days. And even if it were open-no chance to reach it without getting dosed.Also expect a giant Q of people all stranded for those days to apply for at 18th (IF it opens by then).
For flights: any cheapo uses Airasia-just open their website. If money is no object, use skyscanner or the other airlines: TG, BKK-air, the Myanmar one.
Is there no Myanm Embm is VTE? Its all ASEAN. And maybe check out-AirAsia VTE to RGN via KUL-its main hub. might alltogether work out smarter.

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Donman1990 on 28/3/2013 at 06:04

Well clearly you can't, as my question was related simply to flights out of Bangkok not to getting the visa there. I've actually stated that I am planning on getting it in Vientiane . All I need from Bangkok is flights, and money changing. I decided on Bangkok partially because I want to experience songkran there and it will more than likely be a lot easier to obtain pristine US dollars there as opposed to Vientiane.

If I did stay in Vientiane for new year Kl would definitely be a good choice but since I can fly out of Bangkok it's probably just as easy that way as I want to see Songkran.

#6 Donman1990 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 34

Posted by DLuek on 30/3/2013 at 08:22 TF writer

Air Asia is showing 3 flights per day from Don Muang to Yangon during all of the Songkran days. Just do a search on their website. No real other issues to speak of. Taxis will be around, skytrain will be running. If all you need is a flight it's business as usual.

#7 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,122
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Donman1990 on 31/3/2013 at 08:34

Awesome, I guess my real concern then is exchanging my money before I leave, I intend on arriving in Bangkok on the 12th, assuming I can sort my money out that day I'd like to leave after songkran around the 16th but I might be required I guess to hang around till the end of the public holiday obtuse 18th

#8 Donman1990 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 34

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.