Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sattahip?

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

So - I finally have my Visa and my tickets and I am bound for Thailand. But I have a conundrum. I have family in Sattahip who asked me why don't I stay with them. That way I won't have to worry about paying rent anywhere. While that's all great and good I also have to give up not only my privacy but also some of my independence. And strange considering - though family - I don't really know my aunts and uncles. Plus - I really want to see what it's like living in a big city like Bangkok - which is where I've been wanting to live.

They said if anything I could always go to Bangkok - which is 3 hours away - for weeks at a time if I wanted. And there I could also stay with my cousins there. Or get a hotel. They also said Pattya is only 30 minutes away so I can always go there for something to do. I'm not really into that scene there though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't hit it up a few times anyway. But not necessarily for the bar scene.

My real question is if anybody can tell me how Sattahip is. Maybe in relation to a city in the US much like I might say Bangkok is like Chicago or New York. Are there a lot of things to do? And what not. I didn't see anything in the forums and probably would have asked anyway just for some current answers if the topics were from years ago.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 20:17

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Never heard of it before but I found it on google maps and that part of the coast would be quiet and mostly Thai area. I would tell them you want to see many parts of Thailand but you'll visit them for 1 week. They'll be able to show you around that area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22umYDmLe8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWfa2xMnwA

#2 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 20:18

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

have passed there once and this is some time ago.
    Its THE Thai MARINE=NAVY town. Long time they exposed a 2nd hand bought submarine-to protect the Thai seas from all those intruding fishers or so, or maybe just a plaything for some general. But they lacked the money to buy fuel for it.It is right that its 2,5-3 hr to BKk or 1/2 to PTY. OR 1 hr to Rayong=east.
    Its not really a 13 in the dozen Thai town-that tipically means a giant market, a very busy area aorund and then thrown here and there the hospital, the highschool and some govt. buildings, with intermittent housing. It is very spread out and lacks a definite centre-maybe thats hidden for the navyguys. There may be areas closed off for non-navy people. utter boring for me. No real sights-bnot even minor ones and also hardly a decent beach-closeby,. A bit further is a giant and polluting industrial area, named Mab Ta Phut (or so).
    I do not know that US of A enough to give a same-same example, plus that i think TH and US compare utter badly- just see the complete ignorance most USAers tend to show about how things work normally.
    Advice of LC is OK as to your relatives: just go-tell them enthusiasticlly you wont to see much more of that beautiful country-and see how it is and what they can offer-and how long you can stand that. BTW- when i innocently told about it to a |Thai guy-many moons ago, he told me STP has a very bad name to Thai-due to that navy and the 2nd wiving that comes with that-seamen etc. But Thai only parrot one another-without every checking facts.

#3 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 07:58

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

Thanks, guys. Yeah, that makes sense. A bunch of my uncles and aunts were/are in the Navy or Army. Makes sense a few would live there. Still don't know how to tell them. I don't want them to lost face - I know that's a big thing in Thailand.

#4 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 09:15

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Love this response by captainbkk -- "the 2nd wiving that comes with that-seamen etc." -- freaking hilarious.

I agree with Leonard; go visit for a week, but tell them right off that you're going traveling around for a while after that. They know Thailand is a big, beautiful country. Seems that most Thai people are enthusiastic about traveling too. When you're in the area again, stop by and say hi, and don't forget to bring them a gift or two from your travels. Just start a real relationship with them. They won't lose face and neither will you.

#5 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 08:39

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

dont despair all is not lost pattaya is only 35 mins away and bang chan is also close by if you'r into diving there is a good wreck at samy sang called the hardeep in about 30m of water

regular buses to pattaya or rent a bike and disapear for the day and have a few well earned beers with familly

boaby

#6 Posted: 5/5/2013 - 10:14

• chrisperter-
    mark

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2013

According to m view, Getting somewhere in Sattahip should take at most 30 minutes more than the 1.5-2 hours to Pattaya. The companies offering inexpensive pre-booked taxi rides to Pattaya should be your best option.

What to see and do in Chicago

#7 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 22:35

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

Thanks, Chris. I've decided to live in Bangkok and have been here since June. It's great.

#8 Posted: 28/12/2013 - 22:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.