Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Fall 2007

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello everyone!

This is definately one of the best SE Asia travel websites I have read! I spend so much time at work reading the travel guides, they rule!

So I am planning on quitting my corporate cubicle job and traveling SE Asia for about 3-4 months. I would like to leave in September. I am working on a budget and figuring $15 a day for food and $10 a day for drinking...is this too much? I am a big drinker and love food. I like to try exotic foods, the grosser looking the better!

After traveling for the 3-4 months I am planning on flying to Korea to teach for a year...Anyone want to meet up?!?

#1 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 06:59

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi mattocmd,

Glad to hear you like the site!

Your budget sounds fine to me, though does the $15 include accommodation? If you're planning on getting three meals plus a room out of $15 you'll be staying in the most basic of guesthouses in the big cities (though in the islands etc you should be fine).

In Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam you'll easily get big beers for US$1 a pop -- BeerLao is my favourite.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 08:18

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey matt,

i wanted to ask what your room budget is too and how long you planned to stay in each place. like somtam says, Beer Lao is excellent and available for the equivalent of $1 for a big bottle even in riverside restaurants in laos. you won't find a better drinking bargain anywhere. look for happy hours specials in places like siem reap, cambodia to stretch your food and drink budget too. in thailand you'll pay about $2 and up for a beer in a bar or restaurant, but you can always load up at the 7/11 and enjoy a beer on your porch or balcony, etc. the variety of beers now available in thailand is impressive and the quality is good too, although none are as good as Beer Lao. notice a pattern?

the $15 per day should be more than enough for food in thailand, laos or cambodia. the more local you go with your food choices, the less money you'll spend. that $15 is equal to about 500 baht, for example, and i think you'd be hard pressed to spend that much on three meals every day unless you were really going upscale. i'd typically spend about half of your budget on food and drink in southeast asia without every feeling like i had to pass up a sample of something fun and interesting and at the same time never passing up on that second or third beer if the mood was right.

i hope that helps. have a great time and good luck with the korea gig too. cheers.

#3 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 08:33

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello

Thank you for the responses. I have heard from other places about Beer Lao...I can't wait to try it! Maybe after your post I will reduce my food budget to $8. I was in Thailand two years ago and couldn't remember what I spent on food. I remember a much better exchange rate though! Also coke/sprite in long glass bottles (15 baht I believe)...ah, can't wait!!

Somtam, the food budget didn't include accommodation. I was planning on another $10-$15 on that.

Oh another question if you don't mind. Am I able to enter Thailand if I don't have a return ticket? I do not know how long I am staying in each country and dont want to know.

Thanks.

#4 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 19:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Matt,

The onwards ticket thing is a little unclear. Airlines have been stricter about it of late, and while theoretically you need one, in many many cases it is not being enforced. If you're staying in thailand longer than 30-days, get a proper visa and then you don't have to worry about it.

#5 Posted: 21/6/2007 - 18:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.