Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

political situation in bangkok

• trippymctwi-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

What is the current political situation in bangkok. I understand that the Canadian government is warning against non-essential travel to bangkok because of recent politcal demonstrations and possible large demonstrations on June 24. Anybody have any info on this?

#1 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 07:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi trippy,

The situation is best described as "uncertain". The former PM is supposedly returning to Thailand some time next week to face fraud charges, and there is a significant chance of large protests in Bangkok at that time. That said, I'd say it's highly unlikely that largescale mayhem is on the cards, and the Candian govt is probably being pretty conservative in their warnings.

Also, at no stage have these protests been directed at tourists -- it's an entirely local affair.

2Bangkok.com is a good source of news summaries regarding the issues.

#2 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 08:15

• trippymctwi-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Thanks somtam, I was hoping it would be you that answered my question. Thanks for all you do on this site, you really help alot of peaople out.

#3 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 12:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.