Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Planning a trip to Thailand. Need advice!!

• ali32

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2013

I'm planning to head to Thailand in a couple of weeks and am trying to piece together a rough plan of where to go and what to see. Here is what I came up with so far...

Bangkok > Koh Pha Ngan > Koh Tao >Koh Samui > Khao Sok > Koh Phi Phi > Phuket > Chiang Mai

From Chiang Mai I plan to fly to Laos.

Is there anywhere that is really worth seeing that I've missed off or anywhere I've planned that might be worth avoiding?

Also do I get a 30 day visa for Laos if I arrive by air in to Vientiane.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 16:49

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Lots of places in Thailand are worth seeing. You can visit every year for 15 years and not see it all. I see your list is full of same same touristy places but maybe you like being surrounded by tourists.

Lots of descriptions of other destinations on this site.

#2 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 18:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi Ali!

I can tell from the places you've mentioned that you are excited about islands and beaches. Let us know what other types of things interest you, and we can make more specific suggestions. For example, I like beaches too, but I'm also interested in history and nature, which is why I often recommend Kanchanaburi as a worthwhile destination in Thailand - particularly for people interested in World War II and the Death Railway history. I'm also interested in culture and ruins, which is why I enjoy the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Ayutthaya and Sukhothai so much.

Another important factor, however, is how much time you have to spend in Thailand. You already plan to visit eight different places, which is quite a bit of moving around unless you've got a month or more to do it. How long to you have? You might choose to visit fewer places and get a better feel for each of them rather than feel rushed.

It is a long way from Phuket to Chiang Mai , so flying may be your best bet. If you haven't yet, book your air tickets as soon as you can to make sure you can get flights on the days and times you want. Also, you mentioned you arrive in Thailand in a few weeks. What is the exact date? I ask because the week of April 15th starts the Thai/Lunar New Year holiday,and transport may be booked solid already for that period.

Finally, are you flying from Chiang Mai to Vientiane or to Luang Prabang ? You can obtain a visa on arrival at either place, which is good for up to 30 days. You'll want to have a passport photo and something like $35 cash for the fee. In any case, depending on your other plans, don't miss Luang Prabang if at all possible. From there you can continue by air to Vientiane or take the all-day, always exciting bus trip with a stopover in beautiful Vang Vieng or a side trip to another historical favorite of mine, Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars.

I hope this information helps, or at least gets the discussion started. Have a great time. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 19:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think Exacto pretty much summed it up well.

Leonard is right - you are hitting the spots the tourists love. They love those spots for a reason, but it's defintiely THE beaten path.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 00:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning for my BIG trip - NEED Help and Advice ... By brothbart on 31 Aug 2009 1 2513 31 Aug 2009
Trip planning advice needed ... By simonmobiledisco on 16 Jan 2009 10 2522 19 Jan 2009
Planning 2 week backpacking trip - Advice appreciated ... By casey_r19 on 27 Mar 2013 27 4890 11 Apr 2013
planning my First trip in to Thailand ... By Maja on 21 Nov 2007 3 2240 22 Nov 2007
Planning a trip to thailand? ... By robemeen on 2 Mar 2014 2 390 2 Mar 2014
First time planning trip to Thailand ... By sr78 on 10 Nov 2008 2 1976 12 Nov 2008
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 1 711 7 Oct 2012
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 6 2146 9 Oct 2012
Need help planning a 2-week trip to Thailand! ... By Apoloplaza on 10 Jan 2009 6 2091 13 Jan 2009
108 Days trip planning (Thailand, Lao, Cambudia) ... By mixxat on 30 Apr 2012 12 2261 12 Jun 2012