Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand in the June?

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

My boyfriend and I will be in Southern Thailand for the month of June.

Any advice on traveling in the "down" season? I heard through the grapevine it can be difficult to find accommodation because a lot of places shut down. Is this true?

We are flying into Krabi, and we have about 3 weeks to work our way to Ko Samui. We want to see Khao Sok and do some diving (we are SCUBA certified). Any recommendations for where we should go? Are the Trang islands worth checking out? If so, which ones?

We want to avoid resort areas like Phuket, and although we enjoy lounging on the beach as much as anyone else, we also like to stay active and experience new things! Any advice?

#1 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I heard through the grapevine it can be difficult to find accommodation because a lot of places shut down. Is this true?"

Most of the popular beach destinations are open year-round. Some west coast islands which are further off the coast get quiet June-Sep due to seasonal rough weather and limited ferry connections, but most of the hotspots stay open. June weather (and SCUBA diving) is best in the lower Gulf of Thailand, which includes Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, and Ko Tao. June-August tons of N. American and European backpackers on summer break (and their families) come to Thailand so don't worry too much about things being "shut down". Just check weather reports and follow the sun...

#2 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 09:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

There's a lot of misinformation going around. Sure some resorts close during low season but that's only at the quiet locations. Trang islands are nice. I like Trang town as a base but otherwise I would choose Ko Muk.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 09:36

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Great, thanks so much!

#4 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 10:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.