Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Confused as to which Thai Visa to apply for?

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

I want a 60 day visa so I apply for a tourist visa, double entry tourist visa or triple entry tourist visa??

I don't understand what each one means.

Say I want to stay 60 days, and then stay for another 60 days after that - what visa do I apply for then?

What is the "number of desired entries" on the application relating to?

Sorry for the basic questions, it's just I'm a little confused at the moment.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 12:29

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

Each entry is valid for a stay of up to 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days at an immigration office once in Thailand (at a fee). Therefore the maximum stay without leaving the country on a tourist visa is 90 days.
    If you apply for a double entry you will be able to enter Thailand twice within the validity of the visa; each time for 60 days, each time extendible by a further 30 days. A triple entry 3 times on the same terms.
    "Say I want to stay 60 days, and then stay for another 60 days after that - what visa do I apply for then?"
    For this you would need a double entry visa but you will have to leave Thailand and re-enter in order to activate the second 60 day entry. This can be done on a day "visa run" if you don't want to visit another country in between the two stays in Thailand.
    "What is the "number of desired entries" on the application relating to?"
    1 = single entry; 2 = double entry, 3 = triple entry
    Hopefully that explains it!

#2 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 17:55

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

This is a perfect explanation, thank you very much.

One last question.

Say I get a triple entry visa and decide after my second stint of 60 days in Thailand, to leave the country and explore Cambodia/Vietnam for a few months. When I enter Thailand again(say 2 months after leaving it) will I get my 3rd 60 day visa then? Or do I have to use the visas one after another?

#3 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 17:43

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

I believe but I'm not 100% on this that a triple entry visa will be valid for 6 months from issue - ie if if is issued on 1 May you need to have completed all your entries by 1 November. That's entered Thailand to activate the third entry before the visa expires, not completed the final 60 day stay. Still make sense?!

#4 Posted: 18/4/2013 - 10:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai visa - confused ... By Kez on 4 May 2011 5 2053 5 May 2011
Still confused about Thai Visa ... By chris123 on 23 Apr 2007 4 2125 4 May 2007
$147.29 for a 60 day thai vissa, that requires shipping??? confused... ... By holydinahorben on 18 Dec 2012 3 897 25 Dec 2012
Thailand - Will I need to apply for a tourist visa? ... By MEvans on 7 Oct 2008 6 2108 7 Oct 2008