Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help with itinerary

• COA89

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2013

Hi all,

I've been lurking around for a little while and have found so much useful information here. I was hoping that maybe you guys could all help me a bit with my trips itinerary. Nothing is really set in stone by any means and this is just my first thoughts. I do know that I would like to spend an extra day or so in Kanchanaburi because I've heard that it is amazingly peaceful, which will be nice cause the whole point in the trip is to celebrate finishing all of my schooling. Also, Koh Samui has more days because I heard that it's better to stay there for the Full Moon Parties and just take the ferries to and from. I'm still not sure if I will actually want to go to the Full Moon Party or not but my initial thoughts are yes, why not? Days with an -- next to the day are days that I'm questionable about.

So please share with me your thoughts and opinions.

Day 0: Arrive Bangkok – Stay the night relax. Adjust

Day 1: Explore Markets/Temples/Museums
    Day 2: Day trip --Ayutthaya
    Nights in Bangkok: 3 Nights in Thailand: 3
    Day 3: Damnoen Saduak – Arrive Kanchanaburi via Van or bus
    Day 4: Explore/ Relax
    Day 5: Explore/ Relax
    --Day 6: Explore/ Relax
    Nights inKanchanaburi: 4 Nights inThailand: 7
    Day 7: Head to Bangkok for Next Day flight --- ExploreMarkets/Temples/Museums
    Nights in Bangkok: 1 Nights in Thailand: 8
    Day 8: Fly to Chiang Rai (DMK-CEI)
    Day 9: Full Day in Chiang Rai I
    -Day 10: Full Day in Chiang Rai II
    Nights in Chiang Rai:3 Nightsin Thailand: 11
    Day 11: Head to Chiang Mai via Van or Bus/ Half Day inChiang Mai
    Day 12: Full Day in Chiang Mai I
    Day 13: Full Day in Chiang Mai II
    Nights in Chiang Mai:3 Nights in Thailand: 14
    Day 14: Fly to Phuket (CNX-HKT)
    Day 15: Day in Phuket
    -Day 16: Day in Phuket
    Nights in Phuket: 3 Nights in Thailand: 17
    Day 17: Ferry to Phi Phi Island
    Day 18: Phi Phi Island
    Day 19: Phi Phi Island
    Nights in Phi PhiIsland: 3 Nights in Thailand:20
    Day 20: Ferry to Krabi
    Day 21: Krabi
    Nights in Krabi: 2 Nights in Thailand:22
    Day 22: Bus to Surat then Ferry to Koh Samui
    Day 23: Koh Samui
    Day 24: Koh Samui
    -Day 25: Koh Samui
    Nights in Koh Samui:4 Nights in Thailand: 26
    Day 26: Fly to Bangkok – (URT –DMK)
    Nights in Bangkok: 1 Nights in Thailand: 27
    -Day 27: Fly Home

#1 Posted: 18/4/2013 - 00:31

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Firstly, school will be out so you can stop planning everything on a day-by-day basis (hehe).

Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya , flight to Chiang Rai, bus to Chiang Mai , flight to Phuket , ferry to Phi Phi, Krabi , bus/ferry to Samui, back to Bangkok. Sounds like a good plan for 27 days, although a bit rushed. I'd spend at least one night each in Kanchanburi and Ayutthaya which are connected by bus via Suphanburi. You could get a sleeper train from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai and skip the flight to Chiang Rai (less interesting smaller version of Chiang Mai). Try to book your flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket early so you get a good price (airasia.com) If you're going to the FMP on Koh Phangan get there early to find accommodation. Getting there from Samui on the day (and back again afterwards) is dodgy with overloaded boats full of drunk/hungover souls. And as a matter of preference I'd fly into Phuket but get off the next day to Phi Phi and spend more time near Krabi (Railay Beach). Also, Koh Phangan is much more of a young person's island than Samui which is quite built-up and ugly near the popular beaches and exclusive resorts. The only thing I would pre-arrange are the flights (Chiang Rai, Phuket, Bangkok) and leave the rest more flexible.

#2 Posted: 18/4/2013 - 08:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Chiang Rai doesn't have much of interest. The main thing to see is the White temple south of town.

#3 Posted: 18/4/2013 - 09:12

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

" Chiang Rai doesn't have much of interest."

The food in Chiang Rai interests me a lot.

#4 Posted: 18/4/2013 - 09:38

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

The food? Thai food is all over Thailand funny enough and CM has plenty of northern style food if that's what you want.

#5 Posted: 19/4/2013 - 11:54

• COA89

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2013

Thank you everybody for the replies. Sorry for my late responses, working on some papers. I will look into the bus from Ayutthaya to Kanchanaburi that sounds like it would be perfect. And it appears that the general consensus on the group is CR can be skipped so I'll take your guys word for it. Do you guys have any recommendations if the FMP is worth it?

#6 Posted: 21/4/2013 - 03:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.