Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Lipe - info please!

Posted by ehartley on 22/4/2013 at 14:30

Hi

Travelling to Asia in a couple of weeks and starting solo in Thailand. Was hoping people could tell me a little more about Koh Lipe.
Will be visiting (if I decide to go..!) mid-may - I'm looking for beautiful beaches, good diving/snorkelling, small, not overly touristy islands and good food, which it sounds like I'll be able to find on Lipe!
But, particularly since I'll be travelling alone, I'm keen to go places that are popular with other travellers and ideally have a good bit of 'nightlife' - and this isn't something I've heard too much about.
I'd really appreciate a bit of feedback from others who've visited recently - found plenty of posts, but most from a good few years ago

Thanks in advance!

#1 ehartley has been a member since 16/5/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by busylizzy on 22/4/2013 at 19:43

If you go to the Koh Lipe page (http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_thailand/satun/ko_lipe) then have a look down the left side under Blogs, you'll see a few relatively recent articles that may be helpful. :-)

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/4/2013 at 02:28

Hopefully you won't encounter the first storms of rainy season (which usually get going in May)

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,872

Posted by DLuek on 23/4/2013 at 04:55 TF writer

As Bob mentions, May is the very end of the season. Some places close May 1 and a lot close June 1, but some of the larger ones are open year-round. I would still go, but expect it to be pretty low key.

From what you describe generally, though, it sounds like Lipe would be perfect for you. I'm personally a big fan. Was just there in late March and had a great time. There's definitely nightlife but it's more laid back than Ko Phi Phi and not even close to the seediness of places like Patong in Phuket. In fact, Lipe is not seedy in the least.

For accommodation, I love Gipsy Resort. If you can get V1 or V2 (beachfront bungalows - 1,100 baht but possibly discountable in May), you'll be in heaven. The regular bungalows are also good value if you don't need the beach view, and the Spanish dude who runs it is one of my favorite Thailand characters ever. For something a little more "refined", Castaway is a fine choice also on Sunrise Beach. I'd recommend staying on Sunrise and walking over to Pattaya Beach when you feel like having a drink or two.

As Lizzy says, there are a few recent blog posts on Lipe -- follow her directions to the link. :)

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,152
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by ehartley on 24/4/2013 at 14:39

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Think I will be heading there after all!

#5 ehartley has been a member since 16/5/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.