Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Lipe - info please!

• ehartley

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

Hi

Travelling to Asia in a couple of weeks and starting solo in Thailand. Was hoping people could tell me a little more about Koh Lipe.
    Will be visiting (if I decide to go..!) mid-may - I'm looking for beautiful beaches, good diving/snorkelling, small, not overly touristy islands and good food, which it sounds like I'll be able to find on Lipe!
    But, particularly since I'll be travelling alone, I'm keen to go places that are popular with other travellers and ideally have a good bit of 'nightlife' - and this isn't something I've heard too much about.
    I'd really appreciate a bit of feedback from others who've visited recently - found plenty of posts, but most from a good few years ago

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 22/4/2013 - 14:30

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you go to the Koh Lipe page (http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_thailand/satun/ko_lipe) then have a look down the left side under Blogs, you'll see a few relatively recent articles that may be helpful. :-)

#2 Posted: 22/4/2013 - 19:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Hopefully you won't encounter the first storms of rainy season (which usually get going in May)

#3 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 02:28

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

As Bob mentions, May is the very end of the season. Some places close May 1 and a lot close June 1, but some of the larger ones are open year-round. I would still go, but expect it to be pretty low key.

From what you describe generally, though, it sounds like Lipe would be perfect for you. I'm personally a big fan. Was just there in late March and had a great time. There's definitely nightlife but it's more laid back than Ko Phi Phi and not even close to the seediness of places like Patong in Phuket. In fact, Lipe is not seedy in the least.

For accommodation, I love Gipsy Resort. If you can get V1 or V2 (beachfront bungalows - 1,100 baht but possibly discountable in May), you'll be in heaven. The regular bungalows are also good value if you don't need the beach view, and the Spanish dude who runs it is one of my favorite Thailand characters ever. For something a little more "refined", Castaway is a fine choice also on Sunrise Beach. I'd recommend staying on Sunrise and walking over to Pattaya Beach when you feel like having a drink or two.

As Lizzy says, there are a few recent blog posts on Lipe -- follow her directions to the link. :)

#4 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 04:55

• ehartley

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Think I will be heading there after all!

#5 Posted: 24/4/2013 - 14:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Lipe: looking for info ... By JaimeJeldes on 18 Oct 2010 8 1989 15 Dec 2010