Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best East Coast / Gulf options

• kingspank

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2013

Thank you in advance for reading my long-winded query...

I'm planning a 2-week honeymoon in Thailand. Due to my fiancee being a school teacher we must go in July.

My plan is to spend the first week in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and their environs, then spend the second week relaxing in the south. My fiancee wants to just spend that week relaxing, but personally, I get restless and would like to still spend some time hiking, sightseeing (I enjoy photography), diving/snorkeling and enjoying local cuisine/culture. So, originally I wanted to stay somewhere near Krabi as (in my understanding) it has some of the most dramatic beaches in the country (Railay), and I could also maybe do day trips Nakhon Si Thammarat, Khao Luang Cave, Koh Phi Phi, etc. if I needed a change of scenery.

Then I read about the rain. While I understand that going in July will still give me the chance to get plenty of sunshine and the weather will by no means ruin my honeymoon (probably), the west coast will be the wettest option, and I'm leaning toward playing it safe and moving my base of operations to the east coast. I'm looking at Ko Samui, Ko Phangan and Ko Tao, weighing their plusses and minuses in terms of isolation (good and bad), development (good and bad, mostly bad) and natural beauty (always good). So I have a few questions:

1. Just how isolated are the islands? Is it feasible to do day trips to the mainland from any of them?
    2. Are there any east coast locations on the mainland that I should consider instead?
    3. Am I underestimating the east coast islands? How plentiful are their non-tanning activities?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jeff

#1 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 10:05

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

1. Just how isolated are the islands? Is it feasible to do day trips to the mainland from any of them?
    It's a minimum 2-hour ferry from any of them to the mainland, but ferries are frequent and reliable. Not much to see on the mainland near there though. I would just stick to whichever island you choose. A daytrip by boat to the Ang Thong marine park is worthwhile.

2. Are there any east coast locations on the mainland that I should consider instead?
    I like some of the lesser-known mainland spots like Ban Krut, Bang Saphan, and Prachuap Khiri Khan, but there isn't more "to do" stuff there than on the islands.

3. Am I underestimating the east coast islands? How plentiful are their non-tanning activities?
    There is plenty to do compared to any other Thai island. Samui is the most developed, with busy strips like Chaweng being more like a seaside shopping mall. Ko Tao is mostly a divers island with dive shops/resorts dominating the main "Sairee" beach. It's also a small island which you can ride end to end on a scooter in about 20 minutes. Ko Phangan is a nice balance between the other two islands, with extensive enough roads to explore every corner by motorbike, a good variety of beaches and snorkelling spots, and range of accommodation from cheapo beach huts up to horizon pool resorts. Guess which island I prefer? NB in July it will be busy!

#2 Posted: 24/4/2013 - 04:44

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Oh . . . I thought we meant the east coast islands of the gulf not the west coast islands of the gulf.

#3 Posted: 24/4/2013 - 09:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Not much to see on the mainland near there though"

Krabi has plenty to do on the mainland. You can ride a bike around the various bays over around Khlong Muang, check out Krabi town, kayak at Thalen Bay and Bor Thor. Visit hotsprings at Khlong Thom.

Boat trips to Phi Phi and Hong are very good.

#4 Posted: 24/4/2013 - 12:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 809 12 Sep 2012
beach in February - Andaman coast vs Gulf ... By adriana_o on 21 Jan 2013 4 2323 22 Jan 2013
East coast or West coast thailand? ... By steffanmathias on 20 Oct 2008 3 15673 25 Oct 2008
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2491 10 May 2012
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4342 27 Aug 2007
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1957 6 Nov 2011
East Coast / Islands ... By nedders on 27 Jan 2010 6 3552 25 Jan 2011
East Coast Beaches ... By Lraj on 25 Apr 2012 3 1803 4 May 2012
Koh Phagnan East Coast around FMP ... By JohnnyM on 9 Nov 2012 3 1568 13 Nov 2012
First Time in Thailand - East Coast ... By KidCat on 11 May 2012 6 1533 15 May 2012