Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi and Sanghkla Buri Accomodation

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Hi,

I am planning to go for 5 or 6 days to Kanchanaburi to escape from Bangkok for a week. My plan is to go on Monday, stay maybe until Wednesday, take bus or train to Sanghkla Buri, stay for another day and head back on Friday or Saturday to Bangkok.

Anybody has some uptodate information on gusthouses? I am not really on a budget but I would like to spend not more than 800 Baht for a room. Since I travel alone it would be nice to stay in a place with a crowd, but not necesarrily with a crowd of teenaged youngsters :-) Since I am 39. Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 13:21

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've got updated research for both these places on my umm virtual desk -- it isn't online yet as I'm on Ko Kut and the internet is rather totally crap. As it won't be on before you go, here's a couple of listings that sound like they fit your bill (note these are unedited).

Cheers!

Kanchanaburi

Ploy Guesthouse
    A stylish tropical retreat 8/10
    79/2 Maenam Kwai Rd, Kanchanaburi
    T: (082) 475 3443 F: (034)514 437
    reservation@ploygh.com
    http://www.ploygh.com
    With stylish, comfy rooms and a helpful staff, Ploy offers the best value on Maenam Kwai Rd. Accommodation is in two whitewashed thatch-roofed buildings that face each other across a tree-lined lawn. All rooms are spacious, spotless and come with air-con, dark wood furniture and WiFi. The superior bags you a fridge and lovely open-air garden bathroom while the deluxe also gets you cable TV. A new, tastefully designed hardwood riverside cottage is also available. Decor in the cheaper rooms is a little hit and miss -- large white beds on raised wooden platforms a hit, framed Impressionist prints and tacky sculptures a miss -- but the accommodation still manages to feel fairly chic. The Ploy also has a medium-sized restaurant and an infiniti pool, both with smashing views of the river. Note that aside from the cottage, you cannot see the river from the rooms. All room prices include free coffee and toast in the morning and pick-up from the bus or train station is free. Discounts are offered for stays of two nights or more. Recommended.
    Prices
    Standard - Double Low: 620 ; High: 620 ; Notes: No bathroom garden
    Superior - Double Low: 780 ; High: 780 ; Notes
    River cottage Low 1,350 ; High 1,350

Apple's Retreat
    Quiet rooms, outstanding food 8/10
    153/4 Moo 4, Thamakham Rd, Kanchanaburi
    T: (081) 948 4646 ; (034) 512 017
    info@guesthousekanchanaburi.com
    www.apple-noikanchanaburi.com
    The illustrious Apple and Noi moved their headquarters across the river a few years ago and established Apple's Retreat in a quiet and peaceful riverside setting. Unlike other options on the west side of the river, Apple's is just beyond the bridge so it's only a 10-minute walk to the main traveller strip. An important aspect of the retreat is Blue Rice Restaurant, which is known by locals, expats and travellers to serve some of the best Thai food in Kanchanaburi. Noi's well respected cooking classes also takes place here. Rooms are situated in a two-storey building on the other side of the road. They lack river views and most in-room extras, but they are clean and spacious and have comfy beds on raised wooden platforms. All come with air-con and modern hot water bathrooms but lack any other furniture. With that said, free WiFi is available in the restaurant area, which is so inviting that you'll probably spend most of your time there rather than in the rooms. Apple and Noi are veterans of the Kanchanaburi tourism scene and have gotten consistently good reviews for their service over the years. Recommended.
    Prices
    Fan private b'room Low 490 ; High 490
    Air-con private b'room Low 690 ; High 690

Sangkhlaburi

Somchai Coffee & Guest House
    You won't want to leave 9/10
    108/2 Route 3024, Sangkhlaburi
    T: (034) 595 180 / (089) 529 1675
    Plai128@gmail.com
    Perched on a breezy hilltop one km west of the Mon village, Somchai offers a handful of simple, fan-cooled bamboo and wood bunaglows with large balconies that afford spectacular views of the valley below. While the balconies and views are the major selling points here, the bungalows are spacious and pleasant with woven bamboo interior walls, lots of screened windows, firm beds, simple hot water bathrooms, TVs and free WiFi. You really don't need air-con up here as it stays nice and breezy. A small open-air restaurant serves rice soup breakfasts, which are included in the room rates, along with simple Thai dishes and, as the name would suggest, outstanding fresh coffee. Staff speak just enough English to get the job done and they're almost as friendly and relaxed as the three dogs (one of them a pug) who are usually found lazing around the restaurant. A resident goose isn't quite so laid back, but she only adds to the quirky atmosphere. The disadvantage of staying here is that it's a solid 30-minute walk from the town centre which includes a long uphill stretch. But for the views and fantastic value, it's probably worth the effort -- especially if you're looking for a "get away from it all" sort of experience.
    Prices
    Bungalow fan private b'room Low 500 ; High 500 ; Notes: Though there's no policy in place, rates may rise slightly if there's a lot of demand on weekends.

Coffee Berry Boutique Guest House
    Great location, adorable rooms 8/10
    Sam Prasob Rd, Sangkhlaburi
    T: (084) 802 9811
    www.coffeeberrysangklaburi.com
    This cute and intimate guest house and coffee shop sits midway between the town centre and wooden bridge on a quiet stretch of road. If you like your accommodation extra cheery, this place is for you. Eight rooms each boast a different colour scheme and have names like "Mocha" and "Espresso". They feel a bit like children's bedrooms with firm mattresses on polished concrete or tile floors, pictures of cartoon elephants and "inspiring" quotes like "Time heals all" and "More happiness and more laugh" on lime green, sky blue or bright purple walls. There were even teddy bears waiting on the beds in most rooms. A tiny table with cushions on the floor and inviting open air hot water bathrooms also come standard, as does air-con and free WiFi. The more expensive rooms have verandas clustered around an adorable courtyard filled with vintage bicycles, typewriters, antique tables, cermaic bunnies and other bits of curio. There's also a rooftop terrace with a few loungers and tables, and the cafe out front is a great place to chill with a book or laptop computer. The owner doesn't speak much English but she is very friendly.
    Prices
    Air-con private b'room Low 700 ; High 700 ; Notes: Up to 800

#2 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 20:39

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

In Kanchanaburi I'd add Blue Star as a good choice.

In Sangkhlaburi, I loved Somchai but it might be a bit out of the way for some and Coffee Berry might be too "cutesy". Right in the backpacker area, P Guesthouse is a solid choice and definitely has the biggest traveler crowds. I also had good luck with Baan Thor Phan Resort, which has better kitted out bungalows for around 800 baht right around the corner from P.

#3 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 23:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
sangkhla buri accomodation ... By annacmyk on 10 Jun 2009 3 1160 11 Jun 2009