Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to the train station.

• atarigangst-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

I'm landing in Bangkok at noon on Friday, May 3 and making my way immediately to Chiang Mai via train. (Something I want to experience as part of my time in Thailand.) I'm gunning for one of the overnight trains.

Should I go to Hualamphong Train Station (centre of Bangkok I guess) or try and nab a shuttle to Don Muang airport (which I'm sure there are, right?) and purchase my ticket there instead? I'm not super pressed for time but want to use it effectively.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 03:27

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Are you sure you want to commit your body to another night of travelling after what I assume to be a long-haul flight?
    I doubt you'll get a sleeping berth at such short notice.You may not even get a 2nd class seat. A long night in 3rd class awaits you. Not very comfortable.
    If your interested in flying why don't you look on http://www.skyscanner.net/ and book rather than just turning up, which is a risky strategy.
    The only other way would be to take a coach from Morchit Station, more comfortable than a 3rd class train.
    From Suvannabhumi take the train to Payathai and change to a BTS train to get to Hualamphong or Morchit. You can get a shuttle from Suvannabhumi to Don Mueng if you've booked a flight from there.

#2 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 04:07

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Should I go to Hualamphong Train Station (centre of Bangkok I guess) or try and nab a shuttle to Don Muang airport (which I'm sure there are, right?) and purchase my ticket there instead?"

Seems like a waste of time. Buying the ticket at Don Muang station doesn't have any advantage over Hualamphong. Also, as Sayadian indicates above, a relatively sleepless night on a train might be a bad idea after a presumably long flight into Thailand. In your situation I would connect by air from BKK to Chiang Mai (Thai Smile and Bangkok Airways depart BKK not DMK so you don't even need to change airports) then enjoy/relax in Chiang Mai, then get your train experience heading back south. Just a suggestion.

#3 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 04:28

• atarigangst-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

I currently live in South Korea so my flight is actually only about 5 hours and it's direct. I've traveled for 24+ hours easily before when crossing the world and then immediately gone out for the night. I don't know why, but my body is built for travel.

I can't book the flight ahead of getting there because of some credit card issues, so that's why I'm looking at the train option if I can't hop on a flight.

#4 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 06:29

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Fair enough. It's low season now so I wouldn't worry much about sleeper trains being full. If you want to book in advance see the following links:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets,_from_outside_Thailand
    http://www.thailandtrainticket.com

#5 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 08:48

• atarigangst-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Ah, awesome! Thanks for those links.

I figure if worst comes to worst I spend a night in Bangkok. Friday in Bangkok? Worst things have happened ha. (Like the time I left southern Germany for Scotland and ended up in Berlin... but I digress.)

#6 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 08:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hua Lamphong train station to Suvarnabhumi airport? ... By Emma23 on 23 May 2012 2 6222 24 May 2012
Suvarnabhumi Airport to don muang train station ... By woodyuk on 16 Oct 2008 6 9002 20 Oct 2008
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 30729 10 Jul 2014
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station ... By Chicagojosh85 on 21 Nov 2012 9 3433 24 Nov 2012
Transfer times from BKK Suvarnabhumi to Hualamphong Train Station ... By MoreAdventures on 3 Jan 2014 8 668 6 Jan 2014
From Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station going to Aranyaprathet ... By jedai2007 on 9 Jul 2014 11 530 22 Jul 2014
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station connection ... By sashanyc28 on 1 Jan 2010 8 13978 11 Jul 2010
Overnight Train from Suvarnahumbi airport to Chiang Mai - which train station is closest? ... By etsai026 on 14 Oct 2006 1 3060 15 Oct 2006
Train from Kanchanaburi all the way to Suvarnabhumi Airport? ... By manna on 4 Oct 2007 7 3604 10 Oct 2007
Train Station to Airport ... By aik_yong2002 on 8 May 2012 4 2704 21 May 2012