Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Argh - NOOO! Broke my camera lens.

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

So - I turned to hard in a doorway and smashed my camera (Sony A65) lens and it no longer works. I need a new one but I've only seen some outrageously priced ones in the malls (Pattya and whatever city I'm in now). Can anybody give me ideas where to find another reasonable priced lens for cameras even if it's online? While traveling around I haven't really seen any camera shops outside of the malls. But then again my family hasn't afforded me the time to go around the towns/cities we're visiting to check any out.

#1 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 11:10

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

It is expensive to buy camera gear in Thailand. You might want to look at grey market imports since you don't live in Thailand. Here is a thread in flickr that mentions some online stores, as well as the camera stores in Bangkok for both new and used items.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/totallythailand/discuss/72157624858863952/

If you can look around, you have the option to buy used Minolta AF lenses. Sony bought the camera division of Minolta so Sony and Minolta AF cameras share a common mount (A-Mount). The exception are the E-mount NEX series.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

For an APS-C sensor camera like the A65, a 28mm or 35mm lens will make a nice general purpose lens.

If you decide to order from overseas, KEH.com is well regarded source for used lenses. They list some 28mm minolta lenses in excellent condition for US $99. KEH also lists a used Sony 18-55mm kit lens for US$41. I don't know what kind of customs and duties you might pay when order from abroad. And should the lens turn out to be unsatisfactory, the return shipping can obliterate any savings.

#2 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 20:58

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

Thanks.

#3 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 07:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.