Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Chang in May-June

Posted by kru_pasa_angrit on 26/4/2013 at 23:51

Hi everyone! I live in Thailand and am taking some visitors to the beach May 31-June 4. I'm trying to decide where to go, and I really would like to go to Koh Chang. Except now I've been reading that June is a very wet month on Koh Chang, and I don't want it to be rainy the whole time we're there. Has anyone been there in the end of May/beginning of June? Is it already really rainy with strong sea currents (we'd like to swim and snorkel, if possible), or is that more mid-later June?

#1 kru_pasa_angrit has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 27/4/2013 at 00:43

In my experience this is not a good time to visit Koh Chang which is well-exposed to the SW monsoon that usually kicks in then. Can be quite rainy with rough seas and dangerous rips. Better to try Ko Samet or down the gulf at Koh Tao.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,872

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 27/4/2013 at 17:07

I disagree with Bob (who has turned into a weather scare monger). I've been to Chang in May and June. I stayed for over a week both times and had GREAT weather. It only rained in patches for less than 2 hours and it was mostly at night.

The whole dangerous rips thing only applies to Lonely Beach which is a dump anyway. Go to White sands, Khlong Phrao and Kaibee and the swimming is safe (very safe). Those 3 beaches have shallow water and you have to walk out a long way to get into deep water.

All the snorkelling boat trips are operating at that time of year except when there's a bad storm and seas get rough.

I didn't experience any rough seas when I was there.

Hotel prices drop from May and you can pick up an excellent bungalow for 1000-1400 baht.

Samet has nice beaches but it's small with not much to do and there's lots of mozzies.

So my advice is go, you'll love it.

There's an excellent restaurant at Khlong Phrao that serves up Issan food. Forget the name but if you ride around you'll find it.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by swag on 28/4/2013 at 23:04

think the restaurant might be Ko Ti fabulous little place, great authentic thai food.
It's on the main road to the south of Khlong Prao.

cheers

#4 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 29/4/2013 at 09:04

yeah southern Khlong Phrao near Kaibee but the name escapes me

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.