Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Chang in May-June

• kru_pasa_an-
    grit

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Hi everyone! I live in Thailand and am taking some visitors to the beach May 31-June 4. I'm trying to decide where to go, and I really would like to go to Koh Chang. Except now I've been reading that June is a very wet month on Koh Chang, and I don't want it to be rainy the whole time we're there. Has anyone been there in the end of May/beginning of June? Is it already really rainy with strong sea currents (we'd like to swim and snorkel, if possible), or is that more mid-later June?

#1 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 23:51

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

In my experience this is not a good time to visit Koh Chang which is well-exposed to the SW monsoon that usually kicks in then. Can be quite rainy with rough seas and dangerous rips. Better to try Ko Samet or down the gulf at Koh Tao.

#2 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 00:43

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I disagree with Bob (who has turned into a weather scare monger). I've been to Chang in May and June. I stayed for over a week both times and had GREAT weather. It only rained in patches for less than 2 hours and it was mostly at night.

The whole dangerous rips thing only applies to Lonely Beach which is a dump anyway. Go to White sands, Khlong Phrao and Kaibee and the swimming is safe (very safe). Those 3 beaches have shallow water and you have to walk out a long way to get into deep water.

All the snorkelling boat trips are operating at that time of year except when there's a bad storm and seas get rough.

I didn't experience any rough seas when I was there.

Hotel prices drop from May and you can pick up an excellent bungalow for 1000-1400 baht.

Samet has nice beaches but it's small with not much to do and there's lots of mozzies.

So my advice is go, you'll love it.

There's an excellent restaurant at Khlong Phrao that serves up Issan food. Forget the name but if you ride around you'll find it.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 17:07

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

think the restaurant might be Ko Ti fabulous little place, great authentic thai food.
    It's on the main road to the south of Khlong Prao.

cheers

#4 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 23:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

yeah southern Khlong Phrao near Kaibee but the name escapes me

#5 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 09:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.