Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

trekking without a hill tribe?

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

hello - we will be in chiang mai/chiang rai area for 2 weeks starting May 1st. We would like to do a trek that does not involve a hill tribe - it is a little too commercialized for our taste. Any recommendations for tour operators? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 03:43

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

never ever have heard/seen that in that area-even if only you have to stay overnight and all small villages in the mountains are by some tribeys. Maybe our dear other captain knows more-he works and lives in that area and his wife runs such an agency. In short; for the right sum ANY silly wish of any foreigner can be accustomed for. Perhaps climbing Thailand highest mountain, Doi Intanon, qualifies.
    Do you motosy? here are so many set-out tours, advice etc for such bikers in that area.

#2 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 07:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Captain - I think he means where some tribe or other is the objective of the hike. You know, that whole fishbowl thing. I actually approve of his sentiment, although I don't like hiking or trekking in the first place.

#3 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 07:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

5 secs on google will provide alternative operators

#4 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 19:47

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You stay with a hill tribe usually because it is the most comfortable place to stop, i think that is what captainbkk was saying. I went with Pooh Eco Trekking (Chiang Mai) and we stayed with a family, partied with the locals and tasted some local food - but it wasn't an objectifying thing and a share of the money goes to the family. They also rotate families and do a pretty sustainable job of things. The two night trek involved a second night staying in a cabin built by the river - very quiet and nice. So, even though it involves a 'hill tribe' it is not exploitive and very interesting.

http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/index.html

#5 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 00:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hill tribe Laos vs hill tribe Thailand ... By africandace on 10 Apr 2010 37 8521 15 May 2011
Lisu Hill Tribe Homestay ... By paiinthai on 18 Dec 2008 0 2925 18 Dec 2008
Hill Tribe Trek Concern ... By himji on 5 Dec 2010 36 3736 12 Feb 2011
Khoren (hill tribe) language resources? ... By DLuek on 15 Nov 2008 3 2328 24 May 2011