Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Air travel within Thailand and Cambodia

• anneve

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2013

We are planning a trip to Thailand in June with a side trip to Siem Reap . We are starting in Bangkok and then want to visit Chiang Mai , Koh Samui and Siem Reap -- although it does not have to be in that order. So far, the best airfare I can find would involve flying on Bangkok Air within Thailand to Chiang Mai and Koh Samui, then returning to Bangkok to fly roundtrip to Siem Reap on Cambodia Angkor Air. The price is about $670 per person. Is there a less expensive way to do this?

#1 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 14:56

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have you checked Air Asia? It's a budget airline, but pretty good overall. They often do some very good deals, esp on domestic flights.
    Koh Samui is expensive to fly to as Bangkok Air has the monopoly at the airport (unless things have changed recently). An alternative is to fly Air Asia to Surat Thani (on the mainland) then get a ferry to Koh Samui (about 1.5 - 2 hours for the ferry ride itself). It'll save money, and it's a pleasant way to get to Samui - BUT it'll take longer as you need to get a bus to the ferry departure point, and will have a bit of waiting around. You may also need to stay a night in Surat Thani due to flight arrival times. It's worth doing if you have the time, and saving money is your objective. If you're on limited time, pay the $ to fly direct.

Siem Reap is always expensive to fly to. You could consider flying to Phnom Penh instead and spend a day or two there before bussing to Siem Reap for about $7 (5-6 hours).

Use Adios and Skyscanner to run some searches - this will help identify the cheapest routes, and tell you what airline they're for. Then go to the airline sites directly - sometimes you can score a lower price that way.

Sometimes, it can be cheaper to but each leg separately rather than as around trip. I booked a flight recently to Fiji and found that I could save $50 if I booked the two flights separately rather than on a return ticket. I have no idea why that was the case, I would have expected the opposite.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 15:14

• kdzy

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2013

Hi There! I just signed up to let you know what worked for me as I had just booked my flights a couple hours ago.
    I can't help you too much regarding the Bangkok - Cambodia RT, but this is what I ended up doing for my domestic travels in Thailand this July. I'm going to the exact same places as you.

I just booked the Apex Fare Promotion with Thai Airways for $206 (this price includes purchase of additional voucher). They issue you 3 travel vouchers for domestic travel. However, I had to buy an additional voucher because the Koh Samui to Chiang Mai required the redemption of 2 vouchers (because the flight has to stop in Bangkok first).

Bangkok - Koh Samui (1 voucher)
    Koh Samui - Chiang Mai (2 vouchers)
    Chiang Mai - Bangkok (1 voucher)

Total price of 4 vouchers: $206 including tax. per person.

This promotion isn't available online so you would have to call Thai Airways directly (phone numbers are on their website) and you would also have to have the ticket # for the flight entering Thailand as this promotion is only valid for non-Thai residents. Initially, I was going to book with Air Asia, but for the same price i definitely had to go with Thai Airways. From my experience, less delayed flights and free baggage check-in.

Happy travels!

edit: I found the link for details:
    http://www.thaiairways.com/offers/special-fare-promotions/en/thailand_special_apex_fares_2013.htm

#3 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.