Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Updates from Krabi

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Arrived on Sunday for a lazy week in Krabi, but lots of things going on here I just would like to let you know:

Starting around last week they took out all stones of the sidewalks, only leaving sand and dust. This happened on both sides of the main road leading up the hill a little further passed McDonalds. Heading into rain season this is really bad after heavy rainfall. Tried to walk there yesterday night but it was impossible, so you have to share the road at night with the traffic. Not really what you would like to have in holidays.

Today they took down a large number of the big trees on both sides of the road. Not all, but now it looks like a real concrete stretch. A real pitty, I liked the trees, but they caused somehow problems with the extended roofs of some shops. The already sandy and dusty sidewalk is now compeletly messed up by an excavator on tracks. So it will be even more funny tonight.

On top, several sites are now under construction along the main road, while some structures are torn down, others are build as behind Ascot Hotel, witch leave you with alot of noise starting 7:30 AM.

Down at the beach and the beach road, things seem to be pritty quiet and normal. So you might chose a room closer to beach to avoid all the construction works going on.

Last week one of my friends from Bangkok got drugged in one of the popular bars at the beach (not going to mention the name though) and woke up next morning in hospital. So you should take extra good care on your drinks, but that is no hot news, you should always do. But looks like somebody is busy again putting drugs in drinks. Guess the one has to work on the dosis, for not sending people into hospital. As for me, I just stay away from these bars.

Besides that, life is quite runnings slow here these days. Not many people, good and hot weather and great food as usual :-)
    If you wanna see a great sunset, go for a sundowner to Hilltop bar. Prices for drinks are reasonable and food is delicious but a little pricy.

Enjoy Krabi
    Kai

#1 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 06:44

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You should name the bar and you make the place sound miserable. I was there last year and had a good time.

#2 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 10:13

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

of course I don't name the bar, what for? It was not the bar that put something in the drink, it is about the people hanging around there. Today it is bar A and tomorrow bar B. So by going to bar C does not mean nothing is going to happen. Just stay safe! Too many people are dancing everywhere in the bars not watching their drinks.

Of course Krabi is a nice place to go too, but the stretch up the road is a little busy with construction going on, so better to stay down at the beach of even further around Sandbeach.

#3 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 12:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Bar A could be a prime spot where they operate. I would like to know the bar if I was going there.

I usually buy beers from 7/11 myself and only go to bars to watch football occassionally. Ao Nang only has a few Irish bars plus a number of sleazy bars (more than it used to). The whole sleazy section behind the shops has been expanded.

Been to Krabi many times, probably won't go back anytime soon because I've seen most of it.

#4 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 13:12

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

OK, I got your point, but netherless, I don't think that this Bar is his or her prime spot, but maybe the area. As you already mentioned, at the beach, behind the shops.

Even if you buy your beer at 7/11 you are not safe if you leave your bottle on the table and go for a dance. That's when it happens. Have been yesterday night to Boogie Bar. Great music but so many girls just went dancing with their wine, beer or cocktail on the table. Correctly dosed - which is quite hard- it is so easy. And even my friend got drugged and he never believed in such storries.

I think most of the cases will end up here as problem with blood pressure or drinking too much. The thing that he is Thai made is somehow a little special. But police did not inverstigate.

But as I said earlier, that is no new topic for Thailand. This just happened last week here and with a great overdose, that is the reason why I thought it might be good to share with others.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.