Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Where to get beer on Ko Yao Noi

Posted by daydreamfarmer on 6/5/2013 at 14:15

I'm aware that Ko Ya Noi is a Muslim island and alcohol isn't readily available but does the 7-11 on Ko Yao Noi sell beer or do you have to go to a restaurant/bar or resort to grab a cold one? I'm not looking to party my brains out (otherwise I wouldn't be going to Ko Yao Noi), I'd just like to be able to grab a couple of beers to enjoy back at my shack.

Thanks

#1 daydreamfarmer has been a member since 22/3/2013. Posts: 26

Posted by tezza on 6/5/2013 at 18:16

I've visited twice and wasn't aware of problems getting a beer. I don't think the locals are hard-line on this issue - something that applies to quite a lot of other Andaman islands.
For a start there is a good 7/11 in town and I'm sure the frig' had the usual array of cold stuff. Several other stores nearby and quite a few around the island.
And most bungalow restaurants have beer - there is nothing to stop you carting one or more back to your bungalow. Has the advantage of being cold - most budget bungalows don't have a 'frig. Sure you may pay a bit extra than from a minimart but bungalow restaurant prices are usually a dead-set bargain to western tourists.
If you are not fanatical abt beer you could always employ the tezza backup - a bottle of that wonderful Sang Som whisky carted across from Phuket. Actually it's rum, but who cares? Particularly 5 gulps in.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by daydreamfarmer on 7/5/2013 at 08:13

Thanks for the update Tezza. My guess was even though it's a Muslim island not everyone on the island is Muslim. I've got a collapsible travel cooler that with a little ice I can convert into a mini fridge. It's always nice to be able to grab a few brews and stow them away in my room. I'll steer clear of the Sang Som...that stuff scares me. Sand, sun, palm trees and surf cry beer.

#3 daydreamfarmer has been a member since 22/3/2013. Posts: 26

Posted by tezza on 7/5/2013 at 23:40

Those last 8 words aint wrong. Mind you, not too much surf on Yao Noi. Or anywhere else in Thailand dry season.

Plenty of Thai Muslims like beer btw - they just aren't hard liners. Get an island with lotsa sea-gypsies you are laughing - they love beer. And from their point of view - if a bit's good, a lot's better.

Hey, Sang Som may be scary, but the meggadose of preservatives in it aren't all bad. I'm 102 and I don't look a day over 98.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by daydreamfarmer on 8/5/2013 at 14:00

If I see a bunch of drunken sea-gypsies dancing around a 102 yr. old farang, face first on the beach I'll know it's you.

Cheers.

#5 daydreamfarmer has been a member since 22/3/2013. Posts: 26

Posted by 9preciousGems on 8/5/2013 at 16:17

mmm beer

#6 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.