Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to get beer on Ko Yao Noi

• daydreamfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

I'm aware that Ko Ya Noi is a Muslim island and alcohol isn't readily available but does the 7-11 on Ko Yao Noi sell beer or do you have to go to a restaurant/bar or resort to grab a cold one? I'm not looking to party my brains out (otherwise I wouldn't be going to Ko Yao Noi), I'd just like to be able to grab a couple of beers to enjoy back at my shack.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 14:15

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've visited twice and wasn't aware of problems getting a beer. I don't think the locals are hard-line on this issue - something that applies to quite a lot of other Andaman islands.
    For a start there is a good 7/11 in town and I'm sure the frig' had the usual array of cold stuff. Several other stores nearby and quite a few around the island.
    And most bungalow restaurants have beer - there is nothing to stop you carting one or more back to your bungalow. Has the advantage of being cold - most budget bungalows don't have a 'frig. Sure you may pay a bit extra than from a minimart but bungalow restaurant prices are usually a dead-set bargain to western tourists.
    If you are not fanatical abt beer you could always employ the tezza backup - a bottle of that wonderful Sang Som whisky carted across from Phuket. Actually it's rum, but who cares? Particularly 5 gulps in.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 18:16

• daydreamfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Thanks for the update Tezza. My guess was even though it's a Muslim island not everyone on the island is Muslim. I've got a collapsible travel cooler that with a little ice I can convert into a mini fridge. It's always nice to be able to grab a few brews and stow them away in my room. I'll steer clear of the Sang Som...that stuff scares me. Sand, sun, palm trees and surf cry beer.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 08:13

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Those last 8 words aint wrong. Mind you, not too much surf on Yao Noi. Or anywhere else in Thailand dry season.

Plenty of Thai Muslims like beer btw - they just aren't hard liners. Get an island with lotsa sea-gypsies you are laughing - they love beer. And from their point of view - if a bit's good, a lot's better.

Hey, Sang Som may be scary, but the meggadose of preservatives in it aren't all bad. I'm 102 and I don't look a day over 98.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 23:40

• daydreamfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

If I see a bunch of drunken sea-gypsies dancing around a 102 yr. old farang, face first on the beach I'll know it's you.

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 14:00

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

mmm beer

#6 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 16:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.