Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Cambodia - new direct gov't bus route - Scambodia persists!

• drewdogy

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2013

Hi All,

Just took the new direct bus from Bangkok (Mo Chit) to Siem Reap yesterday (service started on Feb 22nd, 2013). Since the bus is operated by the Transport Co (i.e. Gov't bus), we thought that we might avoid the problems at the Cambodian border associated with the long standing mafia. Much to our dismay, it seems that the Transport Co's bus drivers on are currently on the take.

Be aware of Scambodia!! (Detailed in the LP's 2012 Cambodia guide on page 350) Just before reaching the border, the bus stops at the Cambodian 'immigration' for a Cambodian 'visa'. Of course, it goes without saying that you will not pass through Cambodian immigration until after you pass through Thai immigration. At this stop the 'officials' will request around 1100 baht for the Cambodian visa (nearly twice the actual cost of $20). Ignore their claims that the office on the other side is closed or that it will take five hours - these are simply lies to get you to pay more.

Thankfully, we read the LP's warning in advance and ignored the 'officials' and received our visa hassle free on the Cambodian side for $20. For those wanting more info, I found an interesting site that accurately details the process: https://artydubs.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/direct-bus-from-bangkok-thailand-to-siem-reap-cambodia/

The tickets from Bangkok (Mo Chit) to Siem Reap can be purchased online from Thai Ticket Major. The cost is 750 baht (first class tickets), the bus departs Mo Chit at 9am, the trip takes around 6 to 7 hours of driving time, and the bus will drop you in the center of Siem Reap in front of Nattakan Co.

Safe travels! Just remember to be very careful of the mofia and scams that surround the Thai/Cambodian border. We watched many, many travelers and tourists fall victim to this well known scam.

#1 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 23:15

• Advertisement

• Snookieboi

Click here to learn more about Snookieboi
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

I got a cheap bus deal bkk to siem reap a few years back. I had previously done cambodia so i knew a visa cost like 20 dollars.

Of course along the way the bus guide became agressive asking who didn't have a visa and then scaremongering everyone that didn't have one that they better pay xxx baht to get one from him or they'd be left at the Thai border. I showed him my previous cambodia stamps and said i was only paying the 20 bucks and that i'd pay at the border, he left me alone to scare the rest!

The bus stopped about 5 km before the border and he got them to pay xxx baht for the visa after more quite agressive pestering. I went to the border and filled in the form, immigration told me to go away and threw my passport at me (lol), eventually they took the 20 bucks and stamped my passport.

Well, miraculously (lol) the bus waited for us and took me and another 20 buck visa couple, that did as i did, to siem reap.

>> A nice little scam with some good typical Thai scam acting!

#2 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 02:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Most direct route from Kampot to Koh Kong border ... By Wanderrun on 11 Jun 2012 0 2180 11 Jun 2012
Direct route from siem reap to sihanoukville? ... By whitehawk625 on 14 Oct 2008 6 4403 24 Oct 2008