Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transfer between Bangkok airports

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

We are arriving into the new Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok and then need to take a domestic flight down to Surat Thani which leaves from Don Muang. Does anyone have any info on the distance and what means of transport there are between these airports and approximately how long it will take?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 28/6/2007 - 20:27

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

kay_kay, you need bus number 554 or taxi :)
    See http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56
    It's too difficult to say how long it will take from one airport to another because it depend of how busy roads will be. So, from 1 to 2 hours, I think.

#2 Posted: 29/6/2007 - 11:36

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Peronally I have never done this journey so I am loathed to comment .

But surely using a taxi and taking the tollways , the traffic would be minimal , and could be done in under one hour .

What a nightmare this two airport siuation is . No wonder many travelers are recommending flying into Changi airport and then onwards to the provincial Thai airports.

#3 Posted: 29/6/2007 - 15:10

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

One to two hours!!!! You are joking! In peak time expect at least 4 hours by Bus and 2 or so by taxi. The 2 airport system is making travel to Thailand a joke. Fly to Changi instead as the previous poster suggested.

#4 Posted: 29/6/2007 - 16:07

• cybervlad

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Rufus, you tried it?
    While my last visit to Bangkok I get to Suvarnabhumi from Bangamplu for 1h 30min in peak time. What I done wrong? :)

By the way, to get from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang you not need to enter busy Bangkok center.

Of course, it depends on taxi driver experience. If he will transport you from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang via Emerald Buddha temple it will take more than 4 hours :)

#5 Posted: 29/6/2007 - 18:17

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Well , I have done Pattaya to Don Muang in under 2 hours during peak hours , so why anyone would think it takes anymore from Suvarnabhumi baffles me .

Kay_Kay , if you decide on a taxi stress that you will pay the tollways .

#6 Posted: 29/6/2007 - 19:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was in and out of Bangkok yesterday and two days earlier.

Travel times from the new airport to Sukhumvit Soi 23 by taxi on expressway, leaving airport Thursday 4pm was 35 minutes. Returning to the airport again by taxi and tollways Saturday 6am was 20 minutes.

I was told (though have not done it myself) that the trip between airports takes 1-2 hours, though if traffic is in complete meltdown, can take longer.

#7 Posted: 1/7/2007 - 06:23

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You ask whether I have "done it". Well as I live here, I can say "yes", once or twice. My question is "Have you done it in peak hour, when it can sometimes take half an hour to move 1 km?"

#8 Posted: 1/7/2007 - 10:54

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

thanks for all the comments guys....

hmmm there seems to be some kind of discrepancies here ranging from 20 min to over 2 hours! On the map, they don't actually look too far apart but as it appears to me, it really depends on the traffic and the taxi driver! i think we will probably take the risk with the taxi and get on the tollways. I am hoping it won't take more than 2 hours because our transfer time is not so big!

#9 Posted: 2/7/2007 - 16:50

• kay_kay

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

just had to re-read the thread...got confused!

sounds like 1-2 hours is more realistic then?

#10 Posted: 2/7/2007 - 16:52

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Rufus, I am living in big city too. Usually I need 35-40 minutes to go from home to work. But sometimes (1-2 per year) it takes me up to 2 hours due extremely heavy traffic.
    By the way, are described conditions ("take half an hour to move 1 km") applicable to the city center or to the roads between airports too?

kay_kay, note that Sukhumvit Soi 23, Bangamplu and Don Muang located in the different parts of Bangkok. See: http://www.travelfish.org/thailand_map.php
    So transfer time may very differs.

#11 Posted: 2/7/2007 - 19:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
transfer between suvarnabhumi and don muang airports ... By shunter on 24 Aug 2008 5 15223 30 May 2012