Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Scamming at border crossing between Aranyaprahet and Poipet.

Posted by adneilme on 28/6/2007 at 23:27

On 25th June I arrived at Aranyaprahet and the next morning I went to border by tuk tuk costed 60Baht. My tuk tuk driver dropped my friends and I at Hang Teng Travel Agency(or may be Heng Tang). There were two men who claimed themselves as a Cambodian who work with government under tourism with an innocent looking faces. They asked us to show our passports for visa confirmation, since we are Malaysians we can cross the border without visa. We were given to two options of getting to Siem Reap, by bus or by private taxi. My group consists of 4, so we decided to take a taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap, but the thing was we charged us double from usual. Normally if you get the taxi by yourself, it may costs you about 1600 Baht but we were charged for 2500 Baht.Ouch! Once you have paid the fee, you cant have it back! Then they sticked an orange sticker at our t-shirts, so their accompanies in Poipet would be recognized you or in other words, a victim of scam!. After we crossed the border, a man in yellow shirt who works with that travel company asked us to follow him to the bus station.While waiting for the bus to bring us to the taxi station, one guy from other company came near me and asked me how much did I pay for the taxi? Then I told him the price, in a second he was shock and told me that I had been scammed. He said if you come to my company just need to pay 1600 baht only. As soon as I heard that, I was so pissed off but tried to hold my breath to the ground. Since I knew I had been scammed I thought there was no taxi provided from the company to drive us to Siem Reap, but thank god at least we just paid double for the taxi. If you want to see the picture of that two jerks, just email to adneilme@hotmail.com

#1 adneilme has been a member since 4/4/2007. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 9
 Twitter 

Posted by ChangFai on 29/6/2007 at 03:24

900 baht ?

An inexpensive lesson , in my book.

#2 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 30/6/2007 at 20:25

Yep, This stuff happens all the time. :(

I try yo get as much infomation as poss before travelling around Thailand & the near countrys but this time I am just flying to Siem Reap coz i cant be dealing with that border crossing again! lol

#3 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by ChangFai on 1/7/2007 at 05:44

Jon , aye it happens to us all at some point in time , but we dont compound it by moaning about on boards , showing ourselves up , deluding ourselves anyone really cares .

;-)

#4 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 8/7/2007 at 21:11

lol

Agreed.

#5 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by adneilme on 22/7/2007 at 22:41

I just want to make sure that that thing would never happen again and I do not show myself up. Well it is up to you guys!

#6 adneilme has been a member since 4/4/2007. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 9
 Twitter 

Posted by Guernseystu on 24/7/2007 at 01:04

Make sure it never happens again? You'd have to relocate to Poi Pet and grab every tourist as soon as they get off the bus!

I wouldn't call it a scam really, tour companies compete and have different prices so you spent 225B per person more than you could have. Big deal - it's not going to break the bank.

#7 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.