Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

To Koh or not to Koh? - Itinerary advice for Thailand and Laos

• CaptainScott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

I know you must get sick of these itinerary advice threads, but here goes. I have my flights booked already so the period of time I have to spend in the region is fixed at 3 weeks. I would like to get a brief taste of both Thailand and Laos in the limited time I have, and consider this a reccie for future more in-depth trips.

I had originally planned to do the northern Thailand and Laos classic loop, then finish up with 4 nights on Koh Chang for some beach time. However, I am currently torn between Nong Khiaw and Vang Vieng and I figured that if I ditched Koh Chang then I could fit in both at a slightly more leisurely pace.

Here is my plan so far:

Day 1:Bangkok
    Day 2: Bangkok
    Day 3: Bangkok
    Day 4: Ayutthaya then overnight train to Chiang Mai
    Day 5: Chiang Mai
    Day 6/7: Chiang Dao trek and back to Chiang Mai
    Day 8: Chiang Mai – possible Loi Krathong goings-on in the town?
    Day 9: minibus to Nan province border
    Day 10: Pakcan Slow Boat and arrive Luang Prabang
    Day 11: Luang Prabang
    Day 12: Luang Prabang
    Day 13: Luang Prabang
    Day 14, 15 and 16: Either Vang Vieng or Nong Khiaw(if Nong Khiaw will shift these 2 days back to allow for 1 night in LP before onward travel)
    Day 16: Either bus or fly to Vientiane
    Day 17: Vientiane then fly or night train to Bangkok
    Day 18: Arrive Bangkok then minibus to Koh Chang
    Day 19: Koh Chang
    Day 20: Koh Chang
    Day 21: Koh Chang
    Day 22: Koh Chang to Bangkok and flight home (late night)

Any advice/constructive criticism welcomed :) If it helps, my interests are beautiful scenery and interesting journeys, culture (but not so much as to get watted out) and trekking with a bit of time to relax.

#1 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 08:46

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I really like Koh Chang as it has a laid back atmosphere, good food and things to do. Your trip north looks real rushed and personally I didn't think much of Chang Dao. Apart from the cave (which is ok) it wasn't that appealing to me. If you want to drop something I'd drop CM/Dao.

#2 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 08:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

It is always tempting to try and fit in as much as you can in your three weeks, but the smart move is to plan less so you move around less and spend more time enjoying what you came to see in the first place. Just to offer another opinion, I really enjoyed my visit to Chiang Dao. I didn't think the town itself was much more than a wide spot in the road with a 7-11 and a good noodle shop, but I loved the cave, the climb up the stairs at the hillside temple, and hanging out at Malee's and The Nest. It is a good quick side trip out of Chiang Mai , and gives you a chance to see another side of northern Thai life.

If you are looking to save time so you'll still have those last few days on Koh Chang at the end of your trip, you might consider adding a few flights to your itinerary. The most obvious might be to fly from Chiang Mai straight to Luang Prabang . It isn't cheap, but it is quick and the views from the air are pretty great. Another time-saver might be to fly from Luang Prabang down to Vientiane (meaning you'd skip Vang Vieng), and you might even consider flying from Luang Prabang straight back to Bangkok. That would give you time to visit Nong Khiaw if you wanted or spend a few extra days in Luang Prabang, and still hit the beach.

By the way, it wasn't clear to me when you are travelling. Koh Chang is a great destination, but gets soaked during the wet season, so timing will make a difference too. Have a look at this animated Thai weather map to see what I mean.

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Have a great trip. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 13:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm very recently back from Ko Kut (a large island to the south of Ko Chang) - you don't mention what time of the year you're going, but depending on the weather I'd consider swapping Chang to Kut. You can read more about it on the following entries (as have not updated the destination guide yet)

The best beaches on Kut
    Meet Kut

Have an accommodation post coming up shortly :)

#4 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 17:33

• CaptainScott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Thanks for the advice folks. The main reason for going to Chiang Dao was to do the overnight trek up Doi Chiang Dao whick looks ace so I've sort of based that bit of the trip around that. My main quandary (which I've posted about before) was the choice between Vang Vieng and Nong Khiaw because the scenery around VV looks incredible, but Nong Khiaw seems gorgeous too, particularly with the trip up the Nam Ou river plus it seems quieter. It's good to know that Koh Chang is pleasant as I've heard mixed things about it so I will keep it in my itinerary. I'm going to be staying at Klong Prao beach.

So yeah, back to that old chestnut of Nong Khiaw or Vang Vieng. At the moment I'm swaying towards NK as I believe the boat trip on the Nam Ou might not be available in the future with the Hydro schemes being built.

#5 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 17:38

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I haven't been up to Northern Laos since 2008, but at that time I was avoiding Vang Vieng (tubing madness) and found Nong Kiaow a really nice relaxed and friendly location. I also took the motorboat up to Muang Ngoi, which I found to be a strip of guesthouses and spas - but still had some charm . . . I can only imagine though that it has gotten worse and not better. These days I've heard that Vang Vieng has settled down a lot, and the scenery remains very beautiful (though the bridge/cliff around Nong Kiaow is still pretty spectacular in my mind). The main reason I'd advice Vang Vieng though is simply that it saves you a flight as it is a perfect stop to break up the journey between Luang Prabang and Vientiane.

On another note - if you found something you really want to do in Chiang Dao, then certainly don't just fly over it - that said, have you been to Chiang Mai before? If not - just one day there seems really short change. I'd suggest you need to cut out Ayutthaya if only to slow down your pace and soak up some scenery more.

@exacto - I just discovered that map the other day, pretty fantastic thing . . . when did somtam put it up I wonder . . .

#6 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 20:29

• CaptainScott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Somtam2000 - Ko Kut looks quite appealing, but I guess it all adds to the travel time, particularly as I'm only going to be there for 4 nights. I'm going in November by the way, so the weather will hopefully be decent on Koh Chang.

I know I'm not leaving myself much time for Chiang Mai, prticularly as a first time visitor, but I will have the day the sleeper gets in (early morning) plus one full day after I get back from Chiang Dao. Hopefully I will get the chance to explore a bit.

Is Ayutthaya worthwhile? I could get the night train up north from there as it is on the way to Chiang Mai, but if it meant an extra day in CM maybe that would be more worthwhile?

#7 Posted: 9/5/2013 - 07:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Laos and Malaysia ... By plew10 on 1 Apr 2012 3 1371 1 Apr 2012
Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By sandy_28 on 4 Jul 2007 3 3256 9 Jul 2007
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3090 27 May 2013
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia 8 weeks itinerary advice ... By roro1990 on 30 Aug 2013 12 1389 1 Sep 2013
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3717 10 Jul 2007
Advice Itinerary 2 months: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia ... By andreabarbera on 22 Mar 2013 5 2976 26 Mar 2013
Itinerary advice - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Singapore ... By ToniandCraig on 2 Mar 2013 5 1723 6 Mar 2013
Another Itinerary Advice Request/Help - Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Thailand ... By naikman on 16 Oct 2012 0 1225 16 Oct 2012
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5179 1 Dec 2009
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3098 31 Oct 2010