Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Solo 25yr M thailand mid jan 2013

• Zakpriestley

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2013

Hi guys,
    I've taken the plunge and decided to go to thailand alone in jan 2013,its my first time traveling as well,its fair to say I'm a bit nervous but I just want an adventure and go wind takes me really,don't really have many plans maybe a scuba course and trekking in the north but nothing concrete.
    I was just wanting some advice on where to meet people and to see if anyone else is planning on heading out there at the same time and wouldn't mind meeting up so it seems less scary lol thanks Zak

#1 Posted: 9/5/2013 - 12:58

• Advertisement

• CarbonBased

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2013

January 2013 is history my friend you mean 2014?

#2 Posted: 9/5/2013 - 20:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I reckon the best combination of dive outfits and plenty of younger people to meet are found at Kos Tao and Phi Phi. I'm not a diver but I have an idea Tao has more dive areas close to the island - plus even lately when the place has become popular with a big range of general travellers, divers are its biggest single group of visitors. On Phi Phi the dive community is swamped by day-trippers, general tourists and backpackers in roughly that order.
    Technically Tao gets a bit more rain than Phi Phi in January, particularly early in the month - but in practice I don't think this is a big deal - I'm a weather nerd and would not avoid Tao in January.
    Both islands are good to jump to nearby attractive destinations. With Tao you have Ko Phangan and Ko Samui a shortish ferry ride away. With Phi Phi we are talking Ko Lanta, Ko Jum, Krabi and Phuket. All are kinda equal in the meeting people category although Jum is very laid back and could be a bit quiet depending where you stay and who is there.

Unless you can afford to fly to nearby airports, Tao is quicker/cheaper to reach from Bangkok.

#3 Posted: 9/5/2013 - 21:11

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah, both tend to be more expensive to stay at than the average island (but still a bargain by western standards). I'd say Phi Phi is the more expensive of the two.

#4 Posted: 9/5/2013 - 21:13

• Zakpriestley

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2013

Thanks for the quick replies everyone,I did indeed mean 2014 what an idiot I am lol and thanks for the tips about the diving I've read alot of good thing about big blue diving on koh Tao and they throw in a place to sleep(all be it basic) its just gettin off the plane and being all alone in bangcok that scares the you k ow what put of me

#5 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 01:34

• CarbonBased

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2013

I know where your coming from with the nerves, ive never even been on a plane before and im about to leave the states for thailand in july for a month,but im going with a good friend. Props for taking the leap by yourself though that takes some courage. How long do you plan on staying?

#6 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 14:36

• Zakpriestley

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2013

It's literally the first two days over there I'm worried about(I've been on a plane before so not that bit lol) but I've gotta go,planning on going for six weeks!!!any tips you could give me after you go would be appreciated,what plans you got?

#7 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 01:42

• CarbonBased

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2013

Nice you plan on applying for a visa then? or doing a visa run? Were planning on Bkk 3days,Ayutthaya 2days,Koh phangan/FMP 10 days,Ang thong marine park/koa tao 7 days and then back to Bkk for a day before flying home. My advice probably isnt going to be near as informative as the stuff you will find on this site man, however if there comes a time when I wish I did something different Ill definitely let you know.

#8 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 07:10

• Zakpriestley

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2013

Think ill just get a visa,altough I could just go over to lois and get on back I. The return but I'm not sure what I wanna do yet chaing Mai,rai and pai look good quite up for treeking then koh panigang for a half moon party and a dive course in koh toa

#9 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 12:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
25yr m solo thailand feb 2014 ... By Zakpriestley on 10 May 2013 4 1339 4 Feb 2014
Slightly nervous solo 25yr m thailand 2014 ... By Zakpriestley on 10 May 2013 7 2255 18 May 2013
Solo - Thailand/NYE 2012-2013 ... By Brittxox on 21 Jul 2012 17 6100 8 Dec 2013
Bangkok 17 Feb 2013 - Any solo travellers heading to southern Thailand? ... By rrp123 on 10 Dec 2012 10 1838 19 Feb 2013