Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

When is the best time to go?

• Brad9290

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

I'm a student and have just finished my third year, and have saved money from my 21st to go travelling. I have roughly £4000 before my flight to spend so reckon I could do a good couple of months there with the aim to go Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

I am looking to do the experience by myself but I'm currently unsure when to go. My graduation is in July, so I am not sure whether to go straight after that or wait until February time and earn some more money. The reason for this is because I'm not sure about monsoon season.

From people who have experience is the monsoon season is it a pain and did it effect your travels?

Do you think I'd be better off waiting to go in February or do you think July would be a better time to go.

#1 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 07:29

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

July/August can be pretty wet, but in the tropics that more often than not translates as steamy hot days with afternoon or evening thundershowers. Occasionally you get adversity like landslides and temporary road blockage or localised flash floods with calf-high water in the streets, but usually as long as you stick to sealed roads you'll be fine. The upside to rain is it makes everything grow and takes the edge off the heat, and some of those run-for-cover thunderbursts are fun. If you want less chance of rain wait until December, except of course it gets crowded with xmas/ny-season tourists. Ideally for dry season wait until just after new year and stay for Jan/Feb before it heats up. In my opinion the worst time to be here, especially in the northern/interior region is March/April when the air gets very hot and polluted from farmers burning their fields. That's when you escape to the southern beaches.

#2 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 08:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Best time is today.

#3 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 19:36

• cortezzz

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

March April is good as there are not many tourists.

#4 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 21:10

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Hi,
    As you can see from the posts above, there are benefits and drawbacks to travelling at any time of the year - there's no One Right Answer.

You don't mention what your post-graduation plans are - if you're planning on starting a career right away, you may find that once you're on that treadmill it's harder to get off (you get a great job, and don't want to give it up when it's going so well, for example).

So I suppose the best time for you to go is.... when it's right for you. A combination of:
    - When you have enough money saved up to have the sort of trip you want to have, and
    - When you can manage to take the time you want to take, and
    - When you simply feel psychologically ready to go.

Only you know the answer to when it's right for you. Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

#5 Posted: 11/5/2013 - 00:37

• Snookieboi

Click here to learn more about Snookieboi
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

generally you wanna avoid June, july, august, september.

#6 Posted: 11/5/2013 - 01:54

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'generally you wanna avoid June, july, august, september.'

Why?
    Rain isn't a bad thing. Cools you off and gets the pollution out of the air in cities.
    For me the worst time is April and May when the heat even wilts the local population.

#7 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 03:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

^Totally agree, June-Sep can be a great time with clean air and green surrounds. A lot of N Americans and Europeans grow up conditioned to despise rain, but here you learn to value it. Right now for example some more would be nice!

#8 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 07:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

June-July is the best time to go but anytime is good for a holiday.

#9 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 07:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.