Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

When is the best time to go?

Posted by Brad9290 on 10/5/2013 at 07:29

I'm a student and have just finished my third year, and have saved money from my 21st to go travelling. I have roughly £4000 before my flight to spend so reckon I could do a good couple of months there with the aim to go Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

I am looking to do the experience by myself but I'm currently unsure when to go. My graduation is in July, so I am not sure whether to go straight after that or wait until February time and earn some more money. The reason for this is because I'm not sure about monsoon season.

From people who have experience is the monsoon season is it a pain and did it effect your travels?

Do you think I'd be better off waiting to go in February or do you think July would be a better time to go.

#1 Brad9290 has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/5/2013 at 08:31

July/August can be pretty wet, but in the tropics that more often than not translates as steamy hot days with afternoon or evening thundershowers. Occasionally you get adversity like landslides and temporary road blockage or localised flash floods with calf-high water in the streets, but usually as long as you stick to sealed roads you'll be fine. The upside to rain is it makes everything grow and takes the edge off the heat, and some of those run-for-cover thunderbursts are fun. If you want less chance of rain wait until December, except of course it gets crowded with xmas/ny-season tourists. Ideally for dry season wait until just after new year and stay for Jan/Feb before it heats up. In my opinion the worst time to be here, especially in the northern/interior region is March/April when the air gets very hot and polluted from farmers burning their fields. That's when you escape to the southern beaches.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 10/5/2013 at 19:36

Best time is today.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by cortezzz on 10/5/2013 at 21:10

March April is good as there are not many tourists.

#4 cortezzz has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 11/5/2013 at 00:37

Hi,
As you can see from the posts above, there are benefits and drawbacks to travelling at any time of the year - there's no One Right Answer.

You don't mention what your post-graduation plans are - if you're planning on starting a career right away, you may find that once you're on that treadmill it's harder to get off (you get a great job, and don't want to give it up when it's going so well, for example).

So I suppose the best time for you to go is.... when it's right for you. A combination of:
- When you have enough money saved up to have the sort of trip you want to have, and
- When you can manage to take the time you want to take, and
- When you simply feel psychologically ready to go.

Only you know the answer to when it's right for you. Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 457
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter   Pinterest 

Posted by Snookieboi on 11/5/2013 at 01:54

generally you wanna avoid June, july, august, september.

#6 Snookieboi has been a member since 14/4/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 61

Posted by sayadian on 12/5/2013 at 03:11

'generally you wanna avoid June, july, august, september.'

Why?
Rain isn't a bad thing. Cools you off and gets the pollution out of the air in cities.
For me the worst time is April and May when the heat even wilts the local population.

#7 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by Captain_Bob on 12/5/2013 at 07:31

^Totally agree, June-Sep can be a great time with clean air and green surrounds. A lot of N Americans and Europeans grow up conditioned to despise rain, but here you learn to value it. Right now for example some more would be nice!

#8 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/5/2013 at 07:54

June-July is the best time to go but anytime is good for a holiday.

#9 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.