Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Last island before heading back to reality

• SBKM

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

Hello you lovely people,

The sun has almost set on our 6 month trip around SE asia and have one final dilemma I'm hoping you can help us out with. We arrive in KL from Sumatra on the 18th May and need to be in Bangkok for the 28th May and we need to fill the gap in between with some beaches/islands to unwind before heading home!

Will the weather on Ko Tao and the surrounding islands on the east coast be good enough for us to have a few days by the beach around these dates? From what I've read the areas around Ko Lanta and Ko Chang are more likely to be a wash out so it sounds wise to avoid them..

Where do you think would be best to head to?

Any tips, personal recommendations or experiences welcome

#1 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 03:56

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

May weather is typically very unpredictable, as it's when the NE and SW monsoon seasons usually switch over. I would wait until you're in KL and check current weather conditions. Right now it's a coin-toss. Some resources to check below:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/vsmtsatw.html
    http://www.tmd.go.th/en/
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=thailand

#2 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 07:39

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Wash out LOL Where do people get these wrong ideas? Oh well, it keeps the beaches empty so I can enjoy the sun and sand in peace.

#3 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 07:57

• SBKM

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

Aren't you the lucky one? Unfortunately for me this is a once in a lifetime trip so I don't have the luxury of knowing the ins and outs of Thai weather, only what I've had time to read online whilst being out here.

Either way, enjoy your secluded beaches, I don't imagine you'd do too well with actual people around you with that tone

#4 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 10:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a weather nerd and noticed that May tends to get a blip of extra rainfall both sides of the southern isthmus - precipitation tends to fall off a bit on the Andaman side and a lot on the southern Gulf side after that. Statistically the southern Gulf has it - May in Samui has averaged 144mm and 15 days with some sort of rain (could be at night) over the years - Phuket 290 and 21.
    So on balance I'd head for the southern Gulf.

#5 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 21:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah, should add - I've travelled the Andaman/southern Gulf a lot in wet season, never had a wash-out, never lost a full day to rain. It can happen; anecdotally most likely in October thru to mid Dec in the southern Gulf. But that seems to only occur 1 in 4 or 5 years, not necessarily on a regular basis.
    I have another wet season trip coming up in July-August. Looking forward to it.

#6 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 21:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"I don't imagine you'd do too well with actual people around you with that tone"

I do just fine in Bangkok with 10m around me but on a beach it's nice to have few people around. Also nice to get big discounts on room prices.

As for wash outs I've never had one in Thailand where the rain lasted more than a couple of hours in any part of the country. Tropical climates tend to rain in short bursts rather than rain all day long like it does in the west.

#7 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 01:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.