Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi updates

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Hi folks,

just returned from amazing hot Kanchanaburi. I staid there for 4 nights exploring the city and the surroundings.

Some shorts facts about bars and guestouses:

I staid in Tara Guesthouse. The rooms are really great, walk in rate is 250 Baht, that is a nice AC room with shared bathroom. The best rooms are the ones offered for 700 Baht and come with en-suite bahroom and a window with a view, although not the river. Staff is quite friendly. Room service has to be asked for. It shares a pool with Noble Night guesthouse. At night you have to enter the gusthouse through the side entrance of Noble Night. Space for parking motorbike is available.

The restaurant at Tara is soso. Forget the breakfast. Lunch and dinner is OK, but nothing special. Just a standard restaurant.
    Tai Thai was closed when I was there, so don't know about their food.
    Mangosteen offers delcious breakfast and lunch/dinner. I went there 3 times. Nice staff, give it a try and order the blue rice :-)

Now it is low season, so not much people there, a bit of a problem at night becomes only few people in the bars.

Best thing to do, take a scooter and exlore the surroundings by yourself, much better than the organized tours.

Any questions, just ask!

Kai

#1 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 10:36

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Good stuff, thanks.

#2 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 21:56

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Any noise issues at Tara? I checked it out not too long ago and it seemed that noise from the bar downstairs could be an issue late night, unless maybe you were at the bar downstairs late night anyway? :)

#3 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 08:54

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

The Bar ???

You mean the empty restaurant? Well, that could get a problem if you come in high season, but actually the Tara ressort is not above the bar but behind the restarant. It seems like above is a guesthouse, but another one, also entered from the side. So, looking from the street there is the building with the restaurant/bar (no music playing when I was there), then there comes Tara Guesthouse, then Noble Nights, then there is the swimmingpool an down the stairs a raft with a couple of rooms.

Of course there is always noise, sometimes from neighbours (typical Thai build concrete house) and sometimes from the side street. But that is nothing so special to mention.

I had great fun with my scooter at this ancient Khmer (Prasat Muang Sing) site, approx 40 km on route 3328 away, close to Ta Kilen railway station. Almost no tourists (just a Thai couple) and some nature. The ride through the countryside with the scooter is nice also. Just make a couple of stops and get in contact with the people. Talking about contact, take some moskito repellent if you go to this Khmer site.

Also nice to do is the Pagoda behind the Thawon Wararam School. Just walk all the way back to the pond and enjoy the sights. It is a nice place to relax in the shade at the river or to feed the fish for good luck :-) Guess not many tourists go that far to the back but it is worth it.

I found the chinese cemetry by the way much more interesting then all the war cemetries, imho a must to go there and have a look.

Just a word of warning. The dogs in Kanchanaburi can be a bit of a problem. If you go by scooter they will leave you alone, but if you walk they will sometimes bar at you. I got in a couple od strange situations, but I am really experienced with dogs so I got out of all situations, but some were a little close. So renting a scooter (200 Baht per day) is a good invest.

For lunch you can also go to the restaurant opposite of riverside cose to Bua Rim Kwae restaurant. They serve pork soup for 30 Baht, delicious and enough for the day :-)

#4 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 11:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.