Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa?

• scandiphile

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

Hey guys,
    I just want to clear up a visa question I have about Thailand. I'm flying into Bangkok on June 13 and will spend 2.5-3 weeks in Thailand, but will then go to Cambodia for 2 months. I'll then return to Thailand to fly out of BKK on September 11. Considering I won't actually be in Thailand over 30 days, but my flight makes it appear that way, do I need to get Thai tourist visa? I'd prefer to take a bus to Phnom Penh, so I don't want to have to buy an onward flight to Cambodia to prove that I'm leaving the country within 30 days.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/5/2013 - 16:28

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

#2 Posted: 19/5/2013 - 20:39

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

@ scandiphile,

You said you were flying into BKK on June 13. Is that the date you actually arrive in BKK, or the day you depart your own country? The reason I ask is because June 13 to September 11 is 91 days. So even if you had a 60 day tourist visa, it couldn't be extended by 31 days to cover the whole period. That might raise a few eyebrows at Thai immigration.

I read the threads goonistik posted links to, but I don't think those fully answer your question.

There are two problems you have here as I see it. First and foremost, the airline may refuse you boarding because you don't have a Thai tourist visa. Even if you did, they may still query your length of stay since it exceeds to 60 day limit. In that respect, it depends on how informed check-in staff are and whether they're aware that a 60 day tourist visa can be extended by a further 30 days once you arrive in Thailand. I had that problem last year when I flew with Finnair to BKK whereby I had a 60 day tourist visa, but my return flight didn't take place until 90 days after departure. Fortunately, I'd done the same thing before and was able to show them the visa extension stamp in my passport. But it could present a problem for you in similar circumstances where you cannot offer proof of a visa extension.

Secondly, when you arrive in BKK, you have to submit a disembarkation / embarkation card to Thai immigration. That has your flight arrival / departure details on it. Since the return flight is 90 days forward of the arrival date, they could refuse you entry into Thailand because you don't have a Thai tourist visa and cannot provide proof of onward travel.

Your easiest option is purchase an onward flight with a budget carrier like Air Asia, or Nokair even if you don't propose to use it. If you encounter problems at check-in in your own country, all you need to do is to show them your onward flight ticket. Same goes for Thai immigration. I know it's money wasted, but given the circumstances, it'll save you a lot of hassle in addition to saving the cost of the tourist visa.

Do bear in mind also that if you decide to return to Thailand early, you'll only be allowed to remain in the country for 15 days if you arrive via a land border. Arriving by air gets you 30 days.

Hope this helps.

#3 Posted: 20/5/2013 - 05:17

• scandiphile

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

Never mind my last question. I sorted it out. Thanks for all the help!

#4 Posted: 20/5/2013 - 12:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.