Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Samui and Koh Tao trips

• shaungt08

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Just wondering how much the average trip is in Koh Samui and Koh Tao. i.e. jungle trekking and elephant rides etc. any help would be appreciated

#1 Posted: 20/5/2013 - 03:37

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, are we talking tip in respect to a gratuity on service rendered or tip as in good advice.
    I'm thinking it's more likely the latter - as far as I know there are no elephant places on Tao. Ditto for the guided jungle walks (or unguided if it comes to that). I'm sure good ol' Google and Trip Adviser can tell you what's available on Samui.

If we are talking gratuities, I'd be thinking nada. The guide books will tell you Thailand is not a tipping country. Trouble is a lot of high end visitors can't help themselves. My take is - why encourage this insidious practice? I have worked for more than 30 years in a very demanding job with bulk personal confrontations involving very unpleasant people for poor pay. Nobody tipped me.

#2 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 02:55

• samara400

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Maybe you mean "trips", as in day trips?

Most start around 1500Baht, but go up from there.

#3 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 23:52

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Welcome to the good guys, samara.

#4 Posted: 22/5/2013 - 05:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Thailand is a tipping country and has been for decades. I'm sure that Tezza didn't get 300 baht a day so there's no need for him to complain. Day trips vary in price depending on how far you travel and what you do. Boat trips from Samui are more expensive than other places. Elephant rides are around the 600 baht level in other places but I'm not sure about Samui. If you really want to trek into jungles best to head up north as the islands don't have much of that.

"Trouble is a lot of high end visitors can't help themselves. "

Average Thais tip other Thais.

#5 Posted: 22/5/2013 - 10:13

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

"Average Thais tip other Thais."

That's sweet Leonard. Long as they don't expect this dude never been tipped in his life to join in.

#6 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 04:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

What a tightwad. You have to work in a service industry (often low pay) to receive a tip. I can just see you counting your last 1 baht change. Pathetic. Thais slaving away working 6 days a week for peanuts and you're too lousy to tip them 20 baht while you're having a holiday every year. How selfish.

#7 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 10:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.