Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

15 days northern thailand

• lavalette

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

hello folks, just need some help. i chose to leave 15 days out of 28 for north thailand (Jan 2014).
    I was thinking of doing Chiang Mai-Thaton- Mae salong- Chiang Rai and back to CM. Is it realistic in 15 days?

Also would you advise me to fly to CM straight on my arrival and leave BKK for last?

As for the remainder, was thinking to spend them in krabi as there's so much u can do, and seems to be quieter than phuket.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 07:13

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Google map here
    Sounds good. You might have time for a bit more or consider some alternatives. Maybe go to Chiang Dao first and stay at Chiang Dao Nest or Malee Nature Bungalows which are both out by the Chiang Dao cave in a lush setting. From Thaton you can get a boat down the Kok river to Chiang Rai, then do either a daytrip or overnight up at Mae Salong or Doi Tung. Could also come back from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai via Phayao which is a pleasant smallish town set next to a huge lake (great sunsets and fresh bbq restaurants).

#2 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 07:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Captain_Bob gives the best advice.

We loved staying at Chiang Dao Nest too. It's walking distance from a very cool hillside temple and not too far from the cave either. Great food and comfortable surroundings. I give Malee a solid second place.

Leaving Bangkok until the end if a smart idea, particularly if you plan to do any shopping before you fly home. That way you won't have to carry your stuff around with you the entire time and you'll have a better idea of what you want and what a reasonable price is. The only concern about flying directly on to Chiang Mai once you arrive in Bangkok is the jet lag. If you are on a long-haul flight from north America, for example, you may want to give yourself a day in Bangkok just to catch up from the jet lag. Then again, jet lag might be a lot more fun in Chiang Mai.

I'd like to hear what you eventually decide to do and how it turns out. Thanks. Regards.

#3 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 16:16

• lavalette

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

Very useful information so far, and the google map is superb, (thanks capt bob).
    I will try to gather more info and exacto u definatley will know how it turns out. Thanks again

#4 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 18:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I'd also agree with the fly straight up to Chiang Mai idea, especially to deal with jet lag. Way more relaxing than Bangkok especially inside the old city area in the small lanes west of Tha Phae Gate. Aside from the places mentioned on the Thaton/Chiang Rai loop above, there are several great daytrips to do from Chiang Mai, either as a group outing in a minivan, with a private guide, or self-drive rented scooter if you're up for it. 1. Doi Suthep temple, Hmong villages, coffee growing, botanical gardens 2. Doi Inthanon highest spot in Thailand, flower gardens, waterfalls, King and Queen pagodas, etc. 3. Huay Tung Tao (lake) 15km north of the city, swimming, bbq restaurants, bicycle paths, ziplines, very popular with young locals. Etc. Or just dine/temple/shop in the city until you drop.

#5 Posted: 26/5/2013 - 00:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Nok Air sale ends on 27/5. Book a flight with them. They also fly to Nan and Phrae if you want to leave the well trodden Mai/Rai path.

#6 Posted: 26/5/2013 - 08:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10 days in Northern Thailand - recommendations? ... By Dayyanum on 16 Jul 2012 26 2666 20 Jul 2012