Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

5 weeks in October/November

Posted by irogulska on 26/5/2013 at 01:27

My bf and I are planning a 5 week trip to Thailand October 15-Nov 20th 2013 and need some guidance..
We want to start off in Bangkok, train up to Chiang Mai for a couple days and then fly down to the southern part.

We know its the end of the rainy season during that time, but I am a little worried we might be stuck in the rain. Any advice?

-is it a good plan to fly into Bangkok and take a train to Chiang Mai, then fly down South? Or is there a better way?
-How is the weather in the southern part of the island incl. Ko Samui, Phuket,
Krabi etc in beginning of November?
-Is there anything that's an absolute MUST to see while in Thailand (top 10 things?)
-Any advice about what accommodation to AVOID?

Any and all help is extremely appreciated.
Thank you in advance, we are SO excited:)

#1 irogulska has been a member since 26/5/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Xircal on 26/5/2013 at 05:31

There are a number of good itineraries on this site which are well worth checking. For example, see: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-jungle-islands

If you're going to stay for five weeks though, you'll need to apply for a 60 day tourist visa at any Thai Consulate in your own country. That costs about 30 Euros, $40 or £25. That's considerably cheaper than overstaying by exceeding your free 30 day visa exemption period. The cost of overstaying is 500 Baht a day. Overstaying by just one week would cost you about 94 Euros.

You can download the tourist visa application form from here: http://www.thailand-visa.com/ModShow/ShowPage/30763

#2 Xircal has been a member since 24/12/2012. Posts: 95

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 26/5/2013 at 07:41

"How is the weather in the southern part of the island incl. Ko Samui, Phuket , Krabi etc in beginning of November?"

Phuket/Krabi - great
Samui can be wet as their wet season is different. Oct-Dec are the rainy months for Samui.

Samui has nice beaches but it's no big deal to skip it if you do Phuket and Krabi. I much prefer Krabi because there's less tourists, less in your face selling, slightly cheaper prices, nice scenary and you san spend some time in Krabi Town for local culture. There's heaps of snorkeling and kayaking tours out of Krabi and I've done nearly all of them and they are all good.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 26/5/2013 at 07:48

"Is there anything that's an absolute MUST to see while in Thailand "

Don't believe in must sees but I would recommend a few things

Krabi
- visit ko hong
- do a kayaking tour to thalen bay or bor thor (both are great)
- crystal lagoon and hot springs tour

Trang (Only 1.5 hrs by bus south)
- Emerald cave
Tham Le Khao Kop (inland cave where you go thru on boat with the cave ceiling just above your nose)
http://www.trang-travel.com/KhaoKopCave.htm

re food both Krabi and Trang have good night markets. Trang has great seafood while Krabi has good chicken and pork. There's markets in Ao Nang, Nopphorat and Krabi Town with the former 2 only 1 night a week. Trang market operates frid-sun.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.