Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help! From Shanghai with baby looking for paradise retreat

• torylmcneil

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2007

My partner and I are planning a trip to one of the Thai islands in October. With us will be our daughter who will be just 10 months old at the time.

We recently made a disappointing trip to Langkawi - the beaches were gritty/pebbly, the sea was grey and full of tiny stinging jellyfish (but no other snorkelling as the visibility was so poor!)- and we are really keen to do better this time!

Top on our holiday list of must haves is a fantastic beach - and for us that is soft clean (white?) sand, warm clear turquoise waters and a distinct lack of hawkers and motor boats. If there is great snorkelling - or access to it nearby, even better.
    Can thailand top the maldives and the caribbean for all of the above?

Then there's where to stay. We're looking for a retreat. Where the baby will be safe. Where we can eat some good food. And which we can use as a base to make some trips to see the sights. We very much prefer the boutiquey type places with the personal touch to the sprawling family hotel-cities.

So my call for help is 3 fold.
    Where is the perfect place for us to stay; on the perfect beach; on the perfect island?????

Tricky,I know. We are asking a lot - but you guys are the experts!

Many thanks. Your help will be really appreciated!

#1 Posted: 2/7/2007 - 17:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Tory,

Thailand doesn't compare to the Maldives in my opinion, but that's not to say there aren't some great beaches -- and far better than anything anywhere near Shanghai!

Your main issue will be weather. In October, the wet season on the west coast will be running down, but there will still be a fair amount of rain. Ko Chang (the one near Cambodia) will also have a fair amount of rain.

Check our weather map for more info on rain etc.

So that limits you to a couple of islands off Ranong -- eg Ko Samet and Ko Mun Nork, or the gulf islands -- Samui, Pha Ngan and Tao -- all of which will have some rain -- though not as much as the west coast.

Depending on your price scale, I'd lean towards recommending either Thong Nai Pan Noi or Haad Salad on Ko Pha Ngan, Mae Nam or one of the places on Haad Sairee on Ko Tao -- Koh Tao Cabana springs to mind.

I don't recommend Samui only because the snorkelling isn't all that good there, and it sounds like that is pretty important in your planning. Both Ko Tao and Ko Pha Ngan have good snorkelling.

If you can give me an idea of what kind of budget you're considering, I'll try to make a few recommendations for a bed.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 18:04

• torylmcneil

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2007

Thanks for your advice! Yes, we're restricted to October as it's a Chinese holiday. So aside from the weather worries, there's probably also the issue of crowded beaches?!

We're probably looking to spend no more than $80 US a night. Hopefully we can manage somewhere comfortable for that. Our days of roughing it are probably over with the arrival of the little one!

Thanks again - look forward to hearing your suggestions.

#3 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 20:05

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    I really like Ko Samet. It has lovely white beaches, and is quieter the farther you go down the island. I liked to stay at the Silver Sand resort and it has a pretty good restaurant, the beach is nice and the staff are pretty helpful. The rooms are clean (renvated in 2005 last time I was there...) and the bathrooms are good. Bungalows right on the beach are about B2000. May have changed slightly from when I was there...
    Although you will have to travel by boat with the baby to get to Ko Samet... And strollers will be no good. But strollers are no good for most places in Thailand - even BKK.
    Ao Nang (Krabi) was great when we went in January this year... And it is one of the few places in Thailand where you can take a stroller and actually use it. I noticed lots... the sidewalks are well paved and you can stroll all over. And the beach is pretty good... We stayed at Wanna's Place which was great. You can go for interesting day trips to the fabulous islands easily from there... and I don't think October would be too rainy... in my experience it might rain a bit in the afternoon but it isn't too bad.
    Have fun! ALISON

#4 Posted: 7/7/2007 - 16:21

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For $80 a night, I'd suggest starting with a look into Charm Churee on Ko Tao, or, if you want to spend more, Thepwimarn or Sensi Paradise are both great. A more flashpacker joint would be Sai Thong. Salad Hut on Ko Pha Ngan, or, as Alison mentioned, Silver sand on Samet.

#5 Posted: 8/7/2007 - 20:24

• torylmcneil

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2007

Thanks Alison, thanks Travelfish!
    Will look into all the above. Certainly helps narrow down my shortlist.
    Really appreciated ; )

#6 Posted: 9/7/2007 - 03:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.