Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Too many choices in Thailand!

• giguerj

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2013

I'm planning a trip for two weeks to Thailand in August. Because i'm going to be there for a very short time I would just like to stay in one place that hopefully has all that I am looking for. I really need help in picking the spot. The main thing I want to do is just relax on nice beaches and go snorkelling but I would also like to add in a few day trips hiking through mountains and caves and seeing other cool spots.

I've heard a lot about the Krabi area, would this be a good spot? Any other ideas on where would be good to stay?

#1 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 05:12

• Advertisement

• Snookieboi

Click here to learn more about Snookieboi
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

yea, from krabi you can goto the nearby beaches where you can snorkle, dive, go visit caves and do some mountain walks, and mountain climbing. With only 2 weeks, seems like your best bet.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 06:44

• Trizzo

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2012

The Andaman coast supposedly gets a lot of rain in August... be prepared to get a little damp :)

#3 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 07:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Yes August is often the wettest month. Still worth going but be aware it's not likely to be dry. Krabi is a great place to visit for those things you listed though.

#4 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 08:02

• giguerj

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2013

Is the rain something that happens for a little bit every day or are you talking about days with rain? Any reccomendations of other places in south east asia that may have less rain and still nice beaches?

#5 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 08:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Rain isn't that predictable but that period is the wettest period normally. Samui is normally dry at that time of year with good beaches.

#6 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 09:49

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Weatherwise, Ko Samui is the only part of Thailand where the monsoon season doesn't hit until October/November.

Plenty of nice beaches, but very little in the way of caves since the centre of the island is primarily uninhabitable jungle.

It's also expensive to get to by plane since the airport is privately owned by Bangkok Airways which is the main operator and landing fees are exhorbitant.

But if it appeals to you, Wikitravel has a good article on it: http://wikitravel.org/en/Ko_Samui

#7 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 09:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.