Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Q's - flights & misc

• cspeck

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2013

Hi all,

I'll be leaving on a solo trip to Thailand next week (3 week long trip). I'm flying into Bangkok, plan on hanging out there for 3-6 days. I don't have much of anything set in stone after that. I kind of want to meet other people and see what happens from there.

I plan to fly to Chiang Mai from BKK at some point. Right now the flights are about $130+ online. I think I read somewhere that it's easy/less expensive to buy tickets there rather than ahead of time. Is there any merit to this? I just haven't decided exactly when I'm leaving Bangkok so I was going to wing it.

I have the same question regarding BKK to Siem Reap (a bit more pricey)?

I welcome any other trip tips/recommendations about places to go or things to see.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 19:10

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Wrong, it's cheaper to book flights online. See Nok Air and Air Asia. Specials start from 1000 baht/$33 and prices go up to about 2000 baht/$70. No need to pay $130.

For a 1st timer 4-5 nights is enough to have a look around.

#2 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 21:39

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

The reason you're seeing $130 being quoted is because travel agents don't do business with budget airlines such as the two Leonard mentioned. So the flight will probably be with either Bangkok Airways or Thai Airways both of which have a hub at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and which are at least twice the price of the budget airlines.

Budget airlines however, don't depart from BKK anymore and you have to journey across the city to the old international airport called Don Mueang Airport. There's a free shuttle bus which will take you there and which departs from Level 2, Exit 3 every hour commencing 5.00 AM until 12.00 PM. The journey takes about 45 mins except in the rush hour which adds an extra half an hour to the journey.

The same free shuttle bus can also be used for the return trip and leaves Don Mueang Airport Terminal 1, 1st Floor, Exit 6.

As far as Siem Riep is concerned though, there aren't any budget airlines which fly from BKK, or from anywhere in Thailand for that matter and Bangkok Airways will be your only option apart from going by bus. See: http://wikitravel.org/en/Siem_Reap

#3 Posted: 31/5/2013 - 10:47

• cspeck

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2013

Nok Air and Air Asia both quoted $130 for the round trip (using Don Mueang Airport).

#4 Posted: 31/5/2013 - 12:09

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Well, I don't know when you're going exactly, but I did a preliminary booking on Nokair.com to see what their rates were. You said you were going next week, so I chose 4 June as a departure date and 11 June to return to BKK. The cheapest flights were outbound: 1.666,36 Baht with 1.572,90 for the return flight making 3.239,26 Baht in total.

Current FX rates for the US Dollar are 29,86. So 3.239,26 / 29,86 = $108.48 for the round trip.

Nok Air charges a 42,80 Baht processing fee for credit cards, but that adds less than $2 to the total cost.

Here's an image of available flights for both dates: http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1809/dmxcnxdmx.png

Air Asia were slightly more expensive at $116, but their fees are much higher, so Nok Air would be your best choice in this example.

#5 Posted: 31/5/2013 - 14:55

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

@ cspeck not sure about now but years ago the only airlinethat flew bkk to siem reap was Bangkok airways, and the flights was veryexpensive normally about 5000 baht per flight , if this is still the case haveyou thought about flying to phnom penh , if you have time its worth a stop over for a few days , and from thereyou can get a bus , or a slow boat (not sure if the boat is still running) to siem reap

danny

#6 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 03:23

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Just take the overnight train to Chang Mai. Much cheaper and a good experience.

#7 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 03:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

So now it's return trip. You never said that before.

#8 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 10:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.