Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

one-day scuba dive in Koh Tao without certification

• FaceTheHori-
    zon

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2013

Hello...

I previously did a one-day scuba dive with an instructor off of Cairns at the Great Barrier Reef. This trip, I'm traveling with a friend who is PADI certified, but I don't have the time to complete the whole course, either here at home or in Thailand.

So I'm looking for recommendations of good dive operators located in Koh Tao who offer one-day outings that allow me to dive in the Gulf and not just a pool. (Yes, I've done some Google-ing already; I just wanted to see what users here have to say.)

#1 Posted: 1/6/2013 - 16:34

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi zon,

Have a look at the threads in Scuba Diving in Asia forum at this link:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/asiadiving

There is a frequent contributor named Ayesha who runs a diving operation on Koh Tao. You can send her a private message. I imagine that she can accommodate your Discovery Dive, or if not point you in the direction of someone who can.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 07:18

• ehenness

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011
    Location Canada

I did my open water certification with Big Blue. They offer one day 'discovery' dives that do not require any certification/experience.
    It is a large school with great staff and facilities and they manage to keep that 'backpacker' vibe. I would recommend them. I also heard good things about Davy Jones' Locker but I didn't personally dive with them.

Koh Tao is full of diving schools offering one day 'discover scuba' trips so definitely shop around. However I wouldn't go with the absolute cheapest place because you never know if they are sacrificing things like safety and proper equipment to get that price.

#3 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 09:06

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi,

As a dive master I can answer this for you. You can do a DSD discover scuba dive. Which has n instructor with you the whole time

You will be taught a few skills. Mask clearing/reg recovery. And a briefing. The do's and dont's

This one day can be part of your open water course. Ask if you can make a deal on the price with certification in mind
    In the end well worth it

Happy and safe diving

Boaby

#4 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 17:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
one-day dive without certification in Koh Tao ... By FaceTheHorizon on 2 Jun 2013 2 2729 4 Dec 2013
Dive Certification questions ... By keatonec on 12 Jun 2010 3 3380 29 Mar 2011
where to get my Scuba Dive license? (need experts' help!) ... By bman2901 on 20 Jul 2006 0 2832 20 Jul 2006
PADI Scuba Dive Course Koh Samui ... By Anderson85 on 18 May 2008 1 3216 18 May 2008
What is your favorite place to scuba dive in SE Asia? ... By mattocmd on 16 Oct 2008 0 3696 16 Oct 2008