Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

one-day scuba dive in Koh Tao without certification

Posted by FaceTheHorizon on 1/6/2013 at 16:34

Hello...

I previously did a one-day scuba dive with an instructor off of Cairns at the Great Barrier Reef. This trip, I'm traveling with a friend who is PADI certified, but I don't have the time to complete the whole course, either here at home or in Thailand.

So I'm looking for recommendations of good dive operators located in Koh Tao who offer one-day outings that allow me to dive in the Gulf and not just a pool. (Yes, I've done some Google-ing already; I just wanted to see what users here have to say.)

#1 FaceTheHorizon has been a member since 1/6/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 2/6/2013 at 07:18

Hi zon,

Have a look at the threads in Scuba Diving in Asia forum at this link:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/asiadiving

There is a frequent contributor named Ayesha who runs a diving operation on Koh Tao. You can send her a private message. I imagine that she can accommodate your Discovery Dive, or if not point you in the direction of someone who can.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by ehenness on 2/6/2013 at 09:06

I did my open water certification with Big Blue. They offer one day 'discovery' dives that do not require any certification/experience.
It is a large school with great staff and facilities and they manage to keep that 'backpacker' vibe. I would recommend them. I also heard good things about Davy Jones' Locker but I didn't personally dive with them.

Koh Tao is full of diving schools offering one day 'discover scuba' trips so definitely shop around. However I wouldn't go with the absolute cheapest place because you never know if they are sacrificing things like safety and proper equipment to get that price.

#3 ehenness has been a member since 22/3/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 18

Posted by boaby on 7/6/2013 at 17:52

Hi,

As a dive master I can answer this for you. You can do a DSD discover scuba dive. Which has n instructor with you the whole time

You will be taught a few skills. Mask clearing/reg recovery. And a briefing. The do's and dont's

This one day can be part of your open water course. Ask if you can make a deal on the price with certification in mind
In the end well worth it

Happy and safe diving

Boaby

#4 boaby has been a member since 26/1/2011. Posts: 38

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.