Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

universal adaptor

• Pocohantas

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

Hi

I am in Bangkok and none of my electrical stuff from the Uk works with my universal adaptor - neither my camera battery nor my hair straighteners. I am gutted as my camera battery is low and I am only 2 days into a 3 month trip! If i am not able to charge my camera battery i am stuffed ...... Dos anyone have any suggestions please? I bought the universal adaptar here in Bangkok from a big supermarket calles something like the C and paid TBH 250.

The camera charger says 100-240 V and the straighteners away 110-230 V
    Any tips would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

#1 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 08:17

• Advertisement

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Provided it's a two pin plug, you can safely plug your equipment directly into Thai sockets since the voltage is virtually the same as the UK. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

If it's a three pin plug, then you have a problem since those won't fit. If you're staying three months, get somebody to mail you a UK worldwide adapter. It'll take about 10 days to arrive, but it's better than nothing unless somebody else has a suggestion.

As regards adapters, these need to be purchaed in the country the equipment originated from. So the one you bought in Bangkok is intended to be used anywhere in the world with Thai plugs.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 13:06

• Pocohantas

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

Thank you so much. It is a 3 pin plug.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 14:44

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

All you should need is this.
    3746146331_e920d69d2f_o.jpg

Available for 30-50 baht at most electric shops and tourist hubs.

#4 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 01:58

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

bought mine in 7-11 for about 100 baht

#5 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 02:46

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

@Pocohantas have you tried this in another plug socket , ??? maybe the plug socket is at fault !

@Xircal As regards adapters, these need to be purchased in the country the equipment originated from. So the one you bought in Bangkok is intended to be used anywhere in the world with Thai plugs.

this statement is not correct , i always forget to buy adapters for my English equipment , and always buy in country

danny

#6 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 02:56

• Pocohantas

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

Thank you everyone. I shall go to 7-11 and get one.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 03:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Adapters are generally much cheaper to buy in Thailand than in your home country.

If you don't find one at the 7-11, go to MBK or Pantip Plaza - there's plenty to choose from there.

#8 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 15:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.