Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel card type

• shaungt08

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I was wondering what type of ATM card should I apply for either a Visa or MasterCard. When applying I was asked and I don't know which ATM is most popular in Thailand; prefferably Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Ko Phangnan and Bangkok.

#1 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Both Mastercard and Visa are fine in Thailand.

If you're looking for an ATM card, you want to check which network it's used for. Make sure that it has the Cirrus or Plus logo on the back.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 15:03

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I have both Visa and MasterCard debit cards. Both work okay for me in Thailand. Although I do use my MasterCard more often because the credit union pays some of my ATM charges.

You must tell your bank or card provider that you will be in Thailand before you leave home. Otherwise your ATM withdrawals may be denied because of suspected fraud. There is a fee of 150 baht per ATM withdrawal so keep that in mind when you get cash from an ATM.

No problem with travelers checks in major cities like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. The fee to cash a travelers check is 33 baht per check. Only bring the largest denominations. Currency is easy to convert to Thai baht in one of the many bank money money changers. Only bring large denominations that are not old and worn.

Don't rely on a single source of spending money. You could lose or damage your card and be out of cash.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 21:43

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Visa is best but in asia it makes no differance where as in some countries it can be very hard to find anywhere that will accept Mastercard.

Get an N&P account and you will find it is one of the very few UK debit cards with no foreign transaction charge

#4 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 06:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.