Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary ideas

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Hi,
    I will be arriving at Chang Rai from Laos at the start of August and plan to make my way slowly down to Bangkok taking about three weeks. Apart from Chang Mai can anyone suggest some places that they have visited which they have found to be interesting and or fun.
    There are so many places to choose from any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 16:55

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Easy. It depends on what you like to do of course, but here are some of the things I've enjoyed in the vast area between Chiang Rai/Chiang Mai and Bangkok:

Naan - for off the beaten track and just kinda cool

Mae Hong Son loop - great backpacker circuit and worth a look. Try Soppong.

Chiang Dao - about 90 minutes outside Chiang Mai. Very laid back. Good food and an interesting cave.

Lampang - more of a Thai/Asian tourist destination than western, but a fun weekend market and good food/music.

Sukhothai - a former cultural center of early Thai civilization. Great ruins and a good traveller scene.

Kamphaeng Phet - not really on anyone's travel destination map, but a really friendly Thai provincial town. Good night market and cheeeep beer.

Lop Buri - a few decent ruins, disgusting monkeys, and a growing travel scene.

Ayutthaya - seat of Thai government before the move to Bangkok. Great ruins and history.

Kanchanaburi - for outdoorsy stuff and WWII history.

I hope that is at least something to get you started. You can read up on these places on the website and see if any of them interest you. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 17:45

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

In addition to the above recommendations which are good, I found Phayao a town with nice scenary and it's a real Thai scene.

#3 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 21:29

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thank You Exacto and LeonardCohen1 for your advice

regards
    Jeeeebus

#4 Posted: 4/6/2013 - 06:17

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Three weeks is a good amount of time to cover that distance. All of the above are good suggestions.

You could also head to the central area of the country, around Sukhothai and Phitsanulok, then head east and north towards Loei, then follow the Mekong River from Chiang Khan to Nong Khai . From Nong Khai you can catch a night train back to Bangkok. That stretch of river is one of the better areas of the country in my humble opinion. Chiang Khan - Pak Chom - Sangkhom - Nong Khai. Good places to stay in each town, fantastic scenery, quiet and laid back, inexpensive (though Chiang Khan seems to be going a little more upscale), great food, and wonderful people. Slam dunk!

No doubt you'll enjoy wherever you go.

#5 Posted: 4/6/2013 - 10:50

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thank you Tilapia for your suggestions. Much appreciated :-)

Jeeeebus

#6 Posted: 4/6/2013 - 13:57

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Hi, use the above and plan an outline. Me I would go pai, mae hon son, Mae Sot, Sukothai, Lop Buri, Ayutthaya and if time Kanchanaburi but having said this going round the other side taking in Phayao, Nan and Sukothai is also a good option

#7 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 06:09

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thank you also amnicoll for your reply, with all this advice I should be able to plan a pretty decent trip. Thank you 😊

#8 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 18:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.