Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Night train from BKK to Chiang Mai

• sassafrass

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2013

I really would like my daughter to experience the night train but I hear that the tracks can be washed out in July due to rainy season. What exactly does this mean if you are on a train and how likely is this. Is it a better idea just to fly? I know we would save time but I really enjoyed the train last year. Thank you for your insight and help!

#1 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 01:00

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Pretty much every year sometime around June-Aug there have been minor flood problems affecting railway track in the vicinity of Uttaradit, Denchai, or Lampang. Remember that sinkhole last year?

7961879358_be314cabcd_o.jpg

It's not really a safety issue though. It just means they either cancel the route or re-route a portion of the journey by bus until repairs are complete. So it's good to check the State Railway website for updates during rainy season.

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/?language=1
    https://www.facebook.com/thairailticket

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sleeper train is a fun mini-adventure and quite safe. The trains move so slowly it would be hard to have an accident ;-)

#2 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 06:43

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

do not expect any update to be accfurate or timely. Expect dalys, more delays and if s..t happens as fotoed, to be whisked of that train and into buses. Which is in fact not really that much different from what happens in such cases anywhere else in this world, likely even your country. Reroutes are not possible as its a single dead-end long line.

#3 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 09:29

• sassafrass

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2013

Wow! I did not know about the sink hole last year! I think we may take it just for the simple fact that it is a mini adventure. My partner and I took it last year and really enjoyed all of the people we met. Although it was not rainy season when we took it. My daughter is 13 and it will be a good into to learn that the best attitude for travel is to go with the flow~ No I'm not a masochist, just an adventurer~ Thanks for your help guys!

#4 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 09:52

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I've travelled this route in June/July twice before & will be doing so again early August. No one can expect the unexpected. If your paranoid choose an airline.

#5 Posted: 26/6/2013 - 08:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok to Chiang Mai night train from DMK upon arrival. How can I get a ticket before arriving? ... By Arikara1985 on 13 Jul 2014 3 328 16 Jul 2014