Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Diving KO TAO in November

• happytrooper

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2007

Hi Everyone
    I'm planning a diving vacation in Thailand in november. As far as I have understood the Andaman sea is the best place for diving at that time of year. However what I've read about KO TAO it seems like a great diving location and I was wondering if anybody has any experience or advice in that regard? Should we stick to the Andaman sea (simillion/phuket and Ko Lipe) or is Ko Tao good as well?

Hoping for some advice form seasoned Thailand divers!

Blue skies!

#1 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 14:59

• Advertisement

• Beckyanthon-
    y17

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2007

Hi, I did my PADI course in Koh Tao in Sept 05.
    Koh Tao is the most amazing place with stunning beaches- it is quite quiet in some parts of the Island which is good if you want to chill out and relax but in the main parts there are some really good bars and clubs, etc.
    I think it is one of the cheapest places to do diving. The diving experience was unbelievable- in 3 days we saw so many different types of fish, stingrays, etc and the tuition was superb. I did mine at Ban's diving resort with Anthony as my instructor- i am planning to go back there myself in NOvember to complete my advanced PADI.

I didn't do any diving on the Andaman Coast so i can't tell you the difference sorry but i hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 6/7/2007 - 23:09

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

I dived at both places: Andaman (Phi-Phi, Similans, Surin, Richelieu etc) and Koh Tao. I think both places are good locations for diving.
    But Koh Tao is cheaper and has more dive shops.

#3 Posted: 9/7/2007 - 19:59

• drlang946

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I have also dove both locations and both are great but this overview from planetscuba parellels my own experiences and information gathered from other diviers:

The West Coast (including the Similans, Surin, Hin Daeng, Burma Banks and Mergui) should normally be dived from October until May with the first part better for clear waters (i.e. visibility) and the second half better for spotting large Pelagic. From June through September the monsoon blows in from the Indian subcontinent in the west.

The East Coast (Gulf Of Thailand) can be dived all year, as the waters are not as deep and the sites much closer to shore. However November through December, the South East Monsoon can cause rough seas and make visibility unpredictable on occasion. The best months are from February through October as the water is clearest.

For the most part the Similans are closed May through October for any liveaboards - as long as this trip you are there in season I would hit the Similans IMHO

Outstanding diving

#4 Posted: 18/7/2007 - 18:51

• youngiw

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2007

Just returned from Koh Tao 2 weeks ago....excellent...quiet in parts if thats what u want, more lively in others, its great... also did my diving at Bans Diving which is highly recommended as its very professional, well run and popular. You would love Koh Tao and its cheaper than Phuket etc without compromising quality....much better

#5 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 16:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Diving in November? ... By specialk500 on 1 Jun 2011 4 2062 13 Jun 2011
The best island to snorkeling and diving on the first half of November. ... By Agee on 24 Oct 2013 6 1268 25 Oct 2013
Diving in North-East Asia in November ... By snowfish on 1 Sep 2009 9 4927 11 Sep 2009
12 days of chilling and diving around Bali region in late November ... By gilrand on 25 Oct 2011 8 1803 28 Oct 2011