Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Visa - help!

  • IndiaGabrie-

    Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2013
    Posts: 20

    Hi everyone,

    I'm going to Thailand at the end of July and need to sort my Visa. What's the best way to do this? I'm going to Thailand for around 2/3 months, but going to be leaving to travel to Vietnam/Cambodia etc within this time.

    Do I need to go to a Thai embassy in Britain to get a Visa? Would a tourist visa be the one that I need? (Visa-free stay isn't an option - I think I'll be there too long).

    Any help on this topic would be much appreciated!


    #1 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 15:27

  • Advertisement

  • IndiaGabrie-

    Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2013
    Posts: 20

    Also - if I get a tourist visa for a 60 day stay, but leave Thailand after, say 20 days to travel elsewhere, then return to Thailand within the 60 days (or 90 if I extended it) is my visa still valid? I.e. if I leave Thailand to travel elsewhere does this forfeit the remaining days I had on the Visa?


    #2 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 15:54

  • samara400

    Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013
    Posts: 8

    Yes, you are correct.

    You need to get a multiple entry visa.

    #3 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 16:00

  • Samfox31

    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2013
    Posts: 1

    Hi all,

    To stay in Thailand more than 30 days, the best way is to make a tourist visa 60 days.
    You can renew it one time 60 days at the immigration office in Thailand then again 10 days +10 days.
    To do it you must to go every where at a Thai Embassy, you can do it many days before to go to Thailand.
    one entry : mean you cannot go outside Thailand, if you go, your visa expired !
    multi entries : you can go outside and come back again with the same visa.

    To have this visa, you must to wait 2 days to pick up your passport.

    Sorry for my English, I am French.

    #4 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 22:35

  • captainbkk

    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012
    Posts: 472

    PLAN= by using brains.
    A visa is like a ticket to the circus: once out, yoiuve lost the rest, even if you go out early. in fact the nr of entries is first, time allotted comes only second.
    You did not state from where nor which airline, but as they see you ¨¨stay´´ in Th for over 1 month, THEY may pester you for tickets out and the like. They dan refuse boarding or press you to buy super expensive tickets out on the spot. You solve that with a visa too.
    SO the planing means: stay in TH longer after arrival and do the rest of the currently obligatory bekpek ..experience´´ just a few weeks later, so to get the max valua out of that visa. You will also neec visa for all the other countries, but thats just paying at border for Cam and Lao and arrange advance, cheapest/fastest done in Camb, for VN.
    As an alternative you could book AirAsia BKK-PnPN within 30 days, which fullfills the ticket out.
    ANY extension done in Th on a visa will cost you nearly twice the original 1000 THB fee.
    If you arrive back into TH by land, you only get 15-day visa waiver.

    #5 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 02:03

  • magnum

    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 12

    I think you will need a double entry visa, each entry should give 60 days as standard. I live in Scotland and have just got my double entry visa, all I had to do was phone the Glasgow consulate, they emailed me a form, I sent off my passport along with £50 and a self-addressed special delivery envelope. They will have the passport back to you within the week.

    Here's the website for the Thai embassies in the UK http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/179 probably best just picking the one closest to you and speaking to them.

    It seems to be a pretty quick and easy process so there's probably no rush to get it sorted if you leave at the end of July.

    #6 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 03:56

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1790

    A double-entry tourist visa would be your best option. You can get it by mail from the Thai consulate in Hull, UK for 50+10 quid.

    Each entry expires when you leave, unless you buy a re-entry permit beforehand, but this costs 1000 baht so not really cost-effective in most cases. So you'll get 60 days entry on arrival (extendable 30 days at Immigration offices nationwide for 1900 baht) and again 60 days when you re-enter Thailand (2nd entry).

    Or you could get a single-entry visa then get another one in Vientiane, Laos for 1000 baht (cheaper than from home), but it takes 2 days, probably excessive hassle vs. just getting the double-entry visa beforehand. Up to you.

    #7 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 09:16

  • IndiaGabrie-

    Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2013
    Posts: 20

    Thanks everyone - really helpful.

    Captain_Bob - thanks for the info. For some reason I'm finding it hard to get my head around the visa situation but think I'm getting there. I'll get a double entry tourist visa. With this, if I went to Thailand for 30 days, then left Thailand (for around 3 weeks), and came back using the "second entry" how long would I then have left to stay in Thailand? - SO sorry this seems like a baffling maths puzzle!! Just trying to get my head around how much time in total I would have in Thailand.


    #8 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 09:27

  • DLuek

    TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1108
    Total reviews: 14

    "and again 60 days when you re-enter Thailand (2nd entry)."

    There's your answer.

    You're confusing yourself by thinking about how long you leave or whatever. It's really pretty simple:

    Entry 1 = 60 days (or however long you stay)
    Entry 2 = 60 days (or however long you stay)

    As Bob said, you can can extend either entry by 30 days if you want... But sounds like you won't need to.

    #9 Posted: 8/6/2013 - 10:24

  • IndiaGabrie-

    Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2013
    Posts: 20

    Thanks! Makes perfect sense - I was over complicating.

    #10 Posted: 10/6/2013 - 07:52

  • Advertisement

  • Maudbeek

    Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013
    Posts: 1

    Hi everbody!

    I have a question too.
    In january I'm going to the south-east of Asia for over half a year.

    I'll enter Thailand three times;
    Two times by plane, one time by land.

    After I've arrived by plane I will stay no longer than 30 days both times.
    After my entrance by land I'll stay no longer than 14 days.

    Do I still need a multiple visa or not?

    I already e-mailed the Thai consulate, but I haven't got an answer yet and I hope you could help me.

    Thanks a lot!


    #11 Posted: 6/12/2013 - 11:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee