Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Hua Hin questions

• hotwings

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Thailand in August and I'm wondering if Hua Hin is too touristy? I noticed somtam wrote that Hua Hin is now more touristy and prices have gone up. Is it still worth a visit?

What about Khao Takiab? I read it's suppose to be 15mins away from Hua Hin and more quiet with a nicer beach. I'm looking for a beach close to Bangkok so if there are any other suggestions please let me know. I would be glad to hear it.

Also, is there a train that goes directly from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin? Or am I required to get off in Bangkok and transfer trains?

Thanks in advance,
    hotwings

#1 Posted: 6/7/2007 - 03:49

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

I first visited Hua Hin in the late eighties , and it hurts how the place has turned out .

Yes , its touristy and I often think areas have a more Benidorm feel than a Thai one .

I also think the greed among the vendors/taxi drivers etc. has reached the levels of other Thai tourist areas .

Having said that , its still a lovely old town , with a beach long enough , that you will always find a bit of space .

Havent stayed at Takiab , but have used the beach at weekends , when its quieter than Hua Hin . Its only a 10 minutes taxi run from Hua Hin . Wouldnt say the beach is better , but some lovely restaurants in this area that are worth visiting .

If you are looking for a quiet and beautiful beach , I would try Ao Manao in Prachuap Khiri Khan . Another 90 minutes further south than Hua Hin , it only gets busy at the weekends with locals , and is stunning .

Best Regards
    ChangFai

#2 Posted: 6/7/2007 - 05:23

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

we first went to hua hin in around 2001, when i think it was still lovely, the not overly touristified (i know that isnt a word) my parents kind of fell in love with the place returning once or twice every year until last year, at which point they decided to not go back for holiday purposes again. We have a house there which we'll be renting out soon and before even beginning to rent it out we've been told what to charge and in a matter of months its doubled, then tripled because of how popular the town has become, especially this year it seems.

Kao Takiab ive found is not really any different, and is a bit painfully dull and home to mostly the tourists who go on holiday intending to never leave their hotels unless to some thai dance dinner event, so its allvery blank and atmopshere is viltch.

The tuk-tuk drivers are i think the most expensive in thailand, by far and very unwilling to budge from their prices, what was a 20baht journey 2 years ago is now 120 easyily.

im not very beachy so couldnt recommend other places, but for your enjoyment id say itsnot really worth it unless you want to get severly ripped off and its not a very nice beach to begin with.

#3 Posted: 9/7/2007 - 22:19

• morisman1

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Does anyone know the e-mail address of Nai Ya Beach Bungalows, Phuket. ?

#4 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 01:10

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I used to live in Ban Khao Takiab in the late 90's. At the time it was a sleepy little one street village with a few holiday homes along the beach north of the oceanside temple (with the huge standing Buddha), one large condo complex just to the north of the temple, and a fantastic stretch of empty beach to the north. Small homes were scattered throughout the hillside and there was very little happening aside from fishing. The beach is/was white and pretty clean, as was the water. Cleaner than the sand around Hua Hin. Songthaews went to Ban Khao Takiab every 30 minutes, or so, from the market in Hua Hin (10 baht), and probably still do.

From what I understand, it is now quite built-up and popular. Suppose it was just a matter of time. Hopefully the stretch of sand north of the village has escaped the wrecker's ball.

If you do go to this area, there are a lot of nice little villages in and around Khao Takiab that are worth visiting for no other reason other than to check them out. The temple is also quite nice and there are excellent sunsets from the top of hill. It's an easy walk up. There is also a country market midweek (forget the day) between Hua Hin and Khai Takiab that is quite interesting and a real blast. You can get there by songthaew from either HH or KT. You can't miss it. It sets up in the evening and villagers come from everywhere with their goods.

Also, if you end up around HH, I highly recommend that you rent a motorbike and go visit Khao Sam Roi Yot for at least a day. Amazing.

#5 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 20:44

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Ooops ... sorry. The huge stretch of empty beach was south of the temple on the beach, not the north.

#6 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 20:46

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Tilapia
    Surprised to hear you say that the beach at Takiab was white and clean . Last time I was there (2006) the beach was very brown,shingly,stoney , and a bit sharp on your feet . I think you would find south of the hill pretty much the same , its north of it , that the Condo's etc. have sprouted up .

One change you might find on Khao Takiab itself , is monkeys . The place is covered with them nowadays , which is a novelty that wears off quickly , and of course the monks are selling bananas , peanuts etc. to feed them .

I am a big fan of La Mer restaurant on Takiab , cheap seafood with a lovely setting by the sea .

I would have thought Khao Sam Roi Yot would have been a bit far , for a motorbike day trip ? . I must look into that for future visits .

As I said above , have done a day trip on the bus to Prachuab Khiri Khan before , and also a day trip to Phetburi to the north of Hua Hin is also worthwhile , which has an old palace on a hill , and quite a famous cave temple .

Never quite gotten nearby Cha-am , have had some nice seafood by the beach here , but apart from that , its not a place I would recommend,especially at the weekend.

On the Hua Hin Tuk Tuk drivers , the last time I was there , I wanted to go up the hill to the viewpoint to take some photos late afternoon . I spent ages haggling over a price , and the lowest they would drop to was 500 baht . Amazed at this greed , I hired motorbike for 100 baht , and did it myself . I dont think they are as bad as Samui/Phuket taxi drivers , but they are getting there .

#7 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 21:40

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Tilapia
    Surprised to hear you say that the beach at Takiab was white and clean . Last time I was there (2006) the beach was very brown,shingly,stoney , and a bit sharp on your feet . I think you would find south of the hill pretty much the same , its north of it , that the Condo's etc. have sprouted up .

One change you might find on Khao Takiab itself , is monkeys . The place is covered with them nowadays , which is a novelty that wears off quickly , and of course the monks are selling bananas , peanuts etc. to feed them .

I am a big fan of La Mer restaurant on Takiab , cheap seafood with a lovely setting by the sea .

I would have thought Khao Sam Roi Yot would have been a bit far , for a motorbike day trip ? . I must look into that for future visits .

As I said above , have done a day trip on the bus to Prachuab Khiri Khan before , and also a day trip to Phetburi to the north of Hua Hin is also worthwhile , which has an old palace on a hill , and quite a famous cave temple .

Never quite gotten nearby Cha-am , have had some nice seafood by the beach here , but apart from that , its not a place I would recommend,especially at the weekend.

On the Hua Hin Tuk Tuk drivers , the last time I was there , I wanted to go up the hill to the viewpoint to take some photos late afternoon . I spent ages haggling over a price , and the lowest they would drop to was 500 baht . Amazed at this greed , I hired motorbike for 100 baht , and did it myself . I dont think they are as bad as Samui/Phuket taxi drivers , but they are getting there .

#8 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 21:41

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Chiangfai,

Ya, it was clean and really nice. I used to jog along the stretch north of the hill every single morning (I lived in one of the row-houses that backed onto the temple grounds at the base of the hill). Might have been a few puffer fish and jellyfish washed up, the odd net and bottle, but rarely was it littered with anything. Lots of phosphorescence at night. Jellyfish season could get bad. During the months of September and October we had massive tropical storms and there was a lot of flooding.

The monkeys were a fixture at the beach temple when I was there, but nobody was selling anything to feed them.

KSRY we would do as a day trip. It's an excellent ride.

I agree about what you said about Cha-am. Excellent seafood but not the best spot for a beach getaway.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 21:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.