Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mae Chan

• Pocohantas

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

Hi

Has anyone been to Mae Chan? Is it worth visiting? I can't find any info on it....

Many thanks

#1 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 08:23

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

There's a winery there but Thai wines are usually terrible. If you don't know anything about it why do you want to visit?

Doi Tung is worth a visit if passing by but I wouldn't go out of my way for that area. I found it a bit dull. The area south to Phayao has better scenary and Wat Ananlayo is good.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 10:10

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Mae Chan doesn't seem to have attractions that can stand on thier own which would compel people to make it a destination. I see it more as a town that we pass by on the way from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai, or as a turning point to Mae Salong from Chiang Rai. There's not much info on Mae Chan because areas surrounding it are more attractive. If anyone has nice stuffs to share about this area, would love to hear.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 10:53

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It's a totally nowhere town next to the highway in between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai. If you want to spend some extra time in between Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong I would go to Chiang Saen. Much more to see and do there. Otherwise go up into the hills at Doi Tung or Mae Salong.

#4 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 11:50

• Pocohantas

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

Thank you everybody for your replies. In answer to Leonard's question I know someone who lives there and that's why I was wondering if it was worth making a detour

#5 Posted: 15/6/2013 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.