Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Do I qualify for a 30 day visa exemption?

• klb5050

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2013
    Location Australia

I fly into Bangkok on October 16th.
    I have a flight home from Krabi to Australia on December 10th.
    I intend to travel through Northern Thailand and in and out of Laos between October 16th and November 26th.
    I intend to spend November 26th to December 10th in Southern Thailand.
    I would be travelling overland between Thailand and Laos, and therefore would be valid for the 15 day visa exemption on the second leg of my Thailand journey.
    However, would I be eligible for the 30 day visa exemption in Thailand when I land even though I cannot prove onward flight for more than 30 days. Is there any way I can prove that I will be in Laos or will I have to buy a visa? Can this visa be bought on arrival?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 07:17

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

would I be eligible for the 30 day visa exemption in Thailand when I land even though I cannot prove onward flight for more than 30 days.

You don't need to prove onward flight. Thai immigration will stamp you in for 30 days when you arrive.

You get 30 days if arriving by air, 15 days if arriving by land, at any time. If you want a visa, it needs to be arranged outside of the country - it cannot be bought upon arrival. But as long as you stay under your limits on either entry you won't need a visa. If you overstay, you will have to pay 500 baht per day when you leave the country. You can also extend a visa-free stay by 7 days at any Thai immigration office for 1,900 baht.

#2 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 08:59

• klb5050

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2013
    Location Australia

ok thanks, that was really helpful. I don't plan to overstay, haha

#3 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 10:11

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

the above answer-and thus also your response is INcomplete.The prob is not-as has been told here by now at least 123456 times, Thai immi-they will stamp you in. the POSSIBLE main prob is when checking in for TH without any visa OR flight out in that 30-day period. This will be 100% sure when you also start from OZ-there are many mean reports about that from there-it also seems that no OZzie seems to be able to figure out some straightforward thinking by her/himself.
    Also you seem to overstay the usual 1 mo/30 days for Laos-so also think about that. Not that they will bother you about that on entry-but they sure will on exit when nothing has been arranged.

#4 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 03:45

• klb5050

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2013
    Location Australia

I don't know why you're so angry, captainbkk, haha. Well I was considering buying a cheap throwaway flight out of Thailand to avert this problem, which is why I asked in the first place as I didn't want to have to buy one unless deemed necessary. Also I think you misunderstand as I am not flying direct from Australia. My first flight from Australia is to Indonesia and I DO have a plane ticket within 30 days going out, so that won't be a problem. Also, the 42 days was for Laos AND Northern Thailand combined, so I will not be overstaying that visa either.

#5 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 04:31

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You should be OK if you're flying from Indonesia. Never say never, but regional airlines like Air Asia don't usually require proof on onward travel if you're flying into Thailand from another SE Asian country.

#6 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 05:29

• klb5050

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2013
    Location Australia

SBE, I'm flying from Kuala Lumpur so hopefully it will be ok. Would I just have to buy a ticket last minute if they refused to let me board?

#7 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 05:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I fly KL -> BKK with Air Asia quite regularly and have never been asked to show a flight ticket out of Thailand yet so I doubt if you'll have any problems.

Even if you do have to buy a last minute ticket, there are Air Asia sales offices near the LCCT check in area. It's not like you'd have to walk very far to buy one!

Just don't cut it too fine arriving at the airport. The LCCT in KL is Air Asia's purpose built main hub, yet they seem utterly incapable of figuring out how to do quick and efficient check ins there. The queues are nearly always very long and very slow. If you did need to buy a ticket, best not to find out 5 minutes before the check in for your flight to Bangkok closes!

#8 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 07:27

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Even if flying from Australia and even if the airline did ask for onward proof, my personal opinion is that that an answer that "I'm going to Laos (or wherever) overland from Thailand and then coming back and flying home from Krabi less than 2 months after the initial arrival -- and this is the date I'm leaving Thailand and this is the date I'm coming back and here's my proof of that final flight out of Thailand" would be sufficient for them.

#9 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 08:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai Visa Exemption ... By creasetofu on 25 Jun 2011 3 2459 28 Jun 2011
Visa exemption for Vietnam ... By Lother on 7 Apr 2009 2 1967 8 Apr 2009
Thai Visa exemption ... By gillerz960 on 17 Nov 2009 4 1941 18 Nov 2009
Lao visa exemption for ASEAN ... By skinnylatte on 23 Nov 2006 1 2888 23 Nov 2006
Extending 15 day overland visa exemption in Thailand ... By surferRosa on 23 Nov 2009 7 9359 29 Oct 2013
Overseas Vietnamese (and family) visa exemption ... By xtrinh on 3 Sep 2007 0 2871 3 Sep 2007
Thailand tourist visa fee exemption extended ... By bakpakk on 3 May 2010 0 2758 3 May 2010
Proof of Onward Travel - 30 Day Visa Exemption ... By Caolan on 27 Apr 2014 13 1354 28 Apr 2014