Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Vaccinations to get after arrival in thailand?

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Hi all...

I'll be leaving for thailand (to teach in chiang mai), in two weeks. At this point, I've had the hep A and B shots, typhoid, diphtheria,tetanus and pertussis done already. Is it okay to wait until I get to thailand to get the rabies and Japanese encephalitis vaccines, as they are pretty expensive here. Also, what's the latest on dengue? Just keep spraying DEET every day and night? Ay help would be appreciated!

Brent

#1 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 01:26

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

The key question is how long is it before they become effective - I was under the impression you needed a series of 3 for rabies. Rabies is not usually recommended for Thailand but if you are staying a long time in a remote area then more useful. remember the rabies injections only buy you a bit of time and you still need to get quick medical help if bitten.

In 30 years of visiting SE Asia never had Japanese encephalitis injection

#2 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 06:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.