Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Dating other farangs? Successes-failures?

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Anyone have any experience dating other farangs while living in thailand? Perhaps you met in class to be teachers, or on a dating site? Logistical issues? Are there different rules when you're in a country other than your own? I'm curious to see what it's been like, and I'd I should just avoid it altogether.

#1 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 01:30

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I know one case and it did not have a happy ending for the guy (can't speak about how the woman viewed it). In general, I think that the race of the person in dating is irrelevent. There are good and bad everywhere.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 04:59

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Hi madmac

Race wasn't really part of the question...I was more curious about whether people moved to one another's country later on, if they tried a long distance relationship; things of that nature.

#3 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 05:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahhh bit of a mixed bag. I dated this farang woman for the first five years I was living in Bangkok -- then I married her & now she runs most of the important parts of Travelfish -- so that worked out ok ;-) A previous relationship with a European traveller didn't work out -- the fact that we were on opposite sides of the globe once the trip finished probably contributed to that!

Otherwise, as Madmac says, like anywhere, some worked out some didn't. Long distance stuff (as you'd expect) was pretty challenging for both parties involved.

Where's they meet? When we lived in Bangkok quite a few friends were NGO/UN/journos and so there was a lot of intermingling -- the cardinal rule of not sleeping with the payroll was broken and broken often. Internet stuff more common now. So, really no different to home.

#4 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 06:30

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I knew a Spanish guy who met an English lady, both living in Bangkok long-term, and a few months later they were off to live in London together. Then again, I also knew an American couple from my home city in the States who came to Thailand together to teach. They broke up after six months, the lady moved home and the guy is still in Thailand two years later. Another American couple I know did the same thing but they chose to teach in Korea. They agreed together to move back at a certain time and are now married. So yeah, like most relationships, could go either way.

#5 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 10:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

With so many cute locals not sure why you'd even bother with the western seconds.

#6 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 09:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

cough cough ;-)

#7 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 18:52

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

You not well?

How about updating comments to the places section. It takes an awful long time for updates to get put thru.

#8 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 21:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Cleared them all on Sunday. You may have been filtered - will check when back at hotel.

#9 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 23:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just quick check on phone - i see nothing there from you. Actually I don't recall seeing any reviews at all from you in the past -- was it a single review? If so I don't see it in the edit till you've made more than one review. Will check properly when back at hotel.

#10 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 23:30

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Something wrong with your website then. I posted comments on Chumphon, Prachuap and a guesthouse.

#11 Posted: 10/7/2013 - 07:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, can see a review in the db for the guesthouse and for Prachuap -- nothing for Chumphon -- don't know what happened there.

Your reviews won't come into the edit queue till you post more than one in each stream (so more than one for accommodation, more than one for locations etc) -- we have that system to clear off the drive-by-ranters who post here, LP, TA etc

#12 Posted: 10/7/2013 - 08:11

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

But some people might just want to write up 1 review of a place and it's all positive and gets lost that way. There's a lot of destinations with no comments at all.

#13 Posted: 10/7/2013 - 21:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes a lot of people write a single review and never add anything more. There's plenty in the system which we won't see in the edit queue till they add more reviews.

The primary reason we do this is because once a contributor has posted multiple reviews it is easier for us to quickly decide if they are a legit contributor and not a business masquerading as a traveller or someone with a particular axe to grind. I'd rather have no reviews than ones aimed to deceive Travelfish readers.

In most cases, travellers to the region will visit more than one destination and stay at more than one hotel/guesthouse so there is a fair bit of scope to add multiple reviews.

We will be changing how this works slightly once I'm out of Sulawesi to make it easier for existing members (who say for example are very active on the forum) to have their reviews automatically publish, along with some fun incentives, so shortly this won't be an issue for regulars anyway.

But for others, who join, immediately post a review that perhaps raves about a dive operation or tour guide (for example), then leave and never return, their contributions prob won't see the light of day.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 10/7/2013 - 22:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

jeez

#15 Posted: 14/7/2013 - 02:51

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

There's this little incestual group of teachers up here in Chiang Mai. They all befriend, date, cheat on, and sleep with each other because they are too lazy to learn the language. Most of them have been here for 1-2+ and can't communicate past ordering food....

That said, if I met a girl of any race who floored me with who she was, I would date her. Do I prefer Northern Thai girls? Yes, would I date a blonde American/Brit? Sure would.

#16 Posted: 17/7/2013 - 21:03

• inwestend

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2013

I prefer dating Farangs to Thais. Many Western women are well-educated, interesting, and have something intelligent to say for themselves. Culturally, it's great to be on the "same page". While the popular perception of Thailand is OLD men slobbering over young Thai women - there's actually quite a few white guys who appreciate white women in Thailand - there's even a Farang Girl Dating Facebook group. (Shameless plug - I hope the Admins will allow it because it's not commercial, and members of this group may be genuinely interested in it).

#17 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 23:20

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

Too lazy to learn the language. You would be shocked how common that is . Ever wonder why you see so many foreigners dating bar girls and then getting married to them. the outcome often deadly or a living hell. Much to often you can watch them at a restaurant or bar. He is in a drunken daze, she playing on her phone or chatting with her Thai boyfriend. What is most alarming is the guy showing off the bar girl for all to see. while the Thais laugh behind his back as to what a fool he is. As to dating foreign women here no thanks! no thanks, no thanks ! Not all Thai women are scam artists nor idiots. they can learn new things. My girlfriend and i have been together 15 years and no we did not meet in a bar. I made an effort to learn Thai before i arrived on my first trip and i taught her English. We have many common interests and most foreigners shes avoids. #1 because many are non stop drinkers, and cause non stop problems. She says they are best to be avoided. I agree the good ones are a rare find.

#18 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 02:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.